Will it explode?

I just bottled 1 case of cream ale. (The other half went into the kegerator). I had a little left
over after bottling so I put the last 12 ounces into a 1 liter plastic bottle. I screwed the cap
on tight.

I thought I read that this plastic bottle will swell as it carbonates , telling me when to try the
bottled beer.

Am I just looking for trouble here ?

Thx,
John

Not 100% sure if it will explode, I am sure that it depends on how much sugar you added to ferment. What I have read is that when you are doing this, you squeeze the bottle first to remove air and leave space for the bottle to expand.

Did the bottle previously hold carbonated beverage, if not you might have a leaky or potentially explosive bottle.

You glass bottles will explode before the plastic does. Even a flimsy water bottle.

I read something once on a beer forum about a guy “experimenting” with a plastic soda bottle. He filled it half full of corn syrup and half full of a yeast cake or something like that. Needless to say, he came home one day and the bottle had expanded to something resembling a balloon and had exploded the next day. I’m skeptical as to whether or not this actually happened but I would like to think it did. So in short; you’ll probably be ok with a little beer.

Soda is much more carbonated than beer, so you won’t have any issues with them.