Who does 90 min boils to reduce DMS when using Pilsner

You were really trying to determine the price of tea in China, weren’t you? :wink:

You were really trying to determine the price of tea in China, weren’t you? :wink: [/quote]

Well based on the results of this poll its obvious it’s $12/lb :cheers:

Another question besides those already posted is, how sensitive are you to DMS?

Some people can’t smell or taste it, while others are very sensitive (perhaps over-sensitive).

:blah:

At any rate, $12/lb is about right :cheers:

Like how kegged beer is better than bottled beer? :wink:

Like how kegged beer is better than bottled beer? :wink: [/quote]

Or vice versa…

I read that you can do a 60 minute boil with no problem using Best pilsner. A few months ago I brewed a pilsner with Best pilsner malt, mittlefrueh hops and S-34/70. I did a 60 minute boil and it turned out really good.

I’ve been brewing lagers with mostly Weyermann floor malted Pils for roughly a year now and always do the 90 min boils. No DMS detected yet. Guess its time to try and shorten that up to 60 and see for myself if it makes any difference.

How do decoction boils figure into this?

I find myself testing your wisdom as well, which I’m not certain everyone does. I always kick concepts around in my head and try them without expectations. The simple, pared down view you put out there always serves me well; I like that you don’t support hearsay and superstition. I do support any theory with my own practice, which is what I think your message is.

I’m not afraid to test theory in a batch of beer. The worst that typically happens is a beer I like and don’t love, and the knowledge/feedback I get is invaluable.

I find myself testing your wisdom as well, which I’m not certain everyone does. I always kick concepts around in my head and try them without expectations. The simple, pared down view you put out there always serves me well; I like that you don’t support hearsay and superstition. I do support any theory with my own practice, which is what I think your message is.

I’m not afraid to test theory in a batch of beer. The worst that typically happens is a beer I like and don’t love, and the knowledge/feedback I get is invaluable.[/quote]

I applaud you! I always say don’t trust what you hear without testing it yourself, and that includes things I say!

[quote=“wobdee”]I’ve been brewing lagers with mostly Weyermann floor malted Pils for roughly a year now and always do the 90 min boils. No DMS detected yet. Guess its time to try and shorten that up to 60 and see for myself if it makes any difference.

How do decoction boils figure into this?[/quote]

I can say that my gradual acquisition of better brewing gear has been a sort of natural experiment in this regard. I started out using the big burner on my stove, which can (barely) boil 6.5 gallons of wort. That worked great for IPAs and extract beers but I did get a pretty heavy dose of DMS when I tried to make a hefeweizen.

When I went to a outdoor burner, both because I was sick of sticky kitchen floors and because of the DMS issue, I also went to a 90-minute boil and the problem went away. After that I reduced the boil time back to 60 minutes and stuck with a vigorous boil on the new setup. I’ve not encountered any adverse effects, despite making a Weizn-style Oktoberfest with 80% pilsner malt.

YMMV, of course, but in my case it’s all about a good strong boil.

I voted never because I almost never do a 90 for anything. Don’t recall DMS ever being an issue. I do have good rolling boils, lid off and cool quickly with a CF chiller. Another thought about Pilsner malt and longer boil time might be color. Many beers made with it are very light in color. Would the long boil time risk darkening the beer slightly?

I have almost never boiled less than 70 min. but had a really strong boil. Lately I backed off to a moderate roll boil and 90 min. I’m still evaluating taste but it seemed slightly darker, but had no accurate way to measure the SRM. Could just be my imagination. I was guessing that there would be more carmelization because of the extra boil length, and that would affect the taste I think.