White labs english cider yeast

I am using white labs english cider yeast. I have fresh squeezed cider from an orchard and no additives. I added campden tablets and waited 24 hours before adding the yeast. I had to add some sugar since apples og was only 1.030 and the sugar made it 1.060. It has been almost two days since I dumped the tube in, and at 66 degrees. Should I wait longer before repitching or is one tube just slow since not enough yeast to begin the growth stage. If I repitch, I will use dry wine yeast instead.

Thanks

Any info would be nice.

Erik

It will likely be just fine if you wait a little longer, but personally, I would be impatient and would pitch some dry yeast in there. Then fermentation will start rolling right away. Any yeast is fine. I’m having the best success with Cote des Blancs and US-05, but pretty much anything will be fine.

I had the same issue w/ the same yeast last week - I warmed up my Carboy to 73 degrees w/ a heat belt and off it went! Then removed the belt after 24 hours - now at 68 degrees and going strong… Same thing w/ my second batch.

Next time I’ll do a DME starter on my stir plate of the yeast and then pour off the wort before pitching.

I am happy w/ the White Labs cider yeast - but I too was a bit nervous…

Cheers!

Thanks for all the information on the cider. My cider started fermenting last night with about 1/8" of foam and this morning with full ferment at 68. I did not need to repitch anything, the WLP english cider yeast kicked in.

Thanks

Erik

Yeah. I love that yeast.