White House Honey Ale questions

So i bought this one as a first 5 gallon batch and my first one after doing a bunch of starter kits form Mr. you know who…

My question is, what to expect for a starting specific gravity, and where would this one end up?
Anyone brewed this same beer and could give me some info?

Thanks!

As an extract beer, you should be hitting the target gravity or pretty close.

The issue is I don’t know what the target is, nothing was listed on the recipe…

On the description on the web page under the additional info tab it lists 1.062 as the starting gravity.

Thanks! Any idea on what the end SG might be?
Just started it fermenting Friday night, so i know I have a ways to go until i move it to the secondary…

I was thinking 4-5 days in primary and then another 8-10 days in the secondary…

Most beers will finish somewhere in the 1.012 to 1.020 range. Extracts for me always finished on the high end.

Check your hydrometer for accuracy. Get some distilled water. With an accurate thermometer get the water to the temp listed on the hydrometer and see if it read 1.000

You can skip the secondary if you like. Leaving it in the primary for 3-4 weeks is fine. I do it all the time.

Thanks! Any idea on what the end SG might be?
Just started it fermenting Friday night, so i know I have a ways to go until i move it to the secondary…

I was thinking 4-5 days in primary and then another 8-10 days in the secondary…[/quote]

When I made this beer, I used the 1332 Northwest Ale yeast, poured the smack pack into an 800 mL starter.
Starting gravity was 1.062, final gravity was 1.015. Was in the primary for 5 weeks. I typically do 3 weeks in the primary only (no secondary) but was not able to bottle this batch for a couple of extra weeks for one reason or another.

So i transferred after two weeks in the primary to my secondary setup, the SG is now 1.10, started at 1.52.

Took a small taste, i can definitely taste the honey, but it has a bitter aftertaste for sure, anyone else able to give me a taste profile?

anyone?

Hi,

made this beer a few weeks ago. It definitely has a bit of a bitterness from the hops. After bottle fermenting and storing in fridge for a few weeks, it does mellow out a bit. The honey is still there, but not very dominant.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Just cracked the first bottles of this. I’m not sure if it’s fair to compare, because we deviated from the instructions.
The kit comes with 2oz of each of the hops, but the recipe only calls for 1.5 each. We deliberately added all 4oz, but followed the times. We also added an additional pound of honey 3-days after brewing during the transfer from primary to secondary. We figured that amping-up both would embiggen the flavor, but retain balance. Our OG was 1.054; FG 1.014;

So impressions: The hops are not too strong on the nose, but VERY prevalent on the pallet. I thought it was great, my wife was meh but drank it. To put our opinions in context; I like, but do not prefer hoppy beers, but my wife hates IPAs. I was able to pick out the honey flavor, but the hops overwhelmed her taste too much.
Also, we sampled too young, the bottles had only a week of conditioning. I’m expecting the hops to mellow with proper time. In another few weeks this beer should be awesome. (It did seem nicely carbonated after just a week, so I’m very fearful that we over-primed.)

[quote=“JMcK”]Just cracked the first bottles of this. I’m not sure if it’s fair to compare, because we deviated from the instructions.
The kit comes with 2oz of each of the hops, but the recipe only calls for 1.5 each. We deliberately added all 4oz, but followed the times. We also added an additional pound of honey 3-days after brewing during the transfer from primary to secondary. We figured that amping-up both would embiggen the flavor, but retain balance. Our OG was 1.054; FG 1.014;

So impressions: The hops are not too strong on the nose, but VERY prevalent on the pallet. I thought it was great, my wife was meh but drank it. To put our opinions in context; I like, but do not prefer hoppy beers, but my wife hates IPAs. I was able to pick out the honey flavor, but the hops overwhelmed her taste too much.
Also, we sampled too young, the bottles had only a week of conditioning. I’m expecting the hops to mellow with proper time. In another few weeks this beer should be awesome. (It did seem nicely carbonated after just a week, so I’m very fearful that we over-primed.)[/quote]

Same here, my wife thought it was too hoppy, and even i think it is a bit too bitter in finish, definitely can taste it.

i did the same as you, put in all the hops right in the batch up front, which i think had a bit too do with it.

My OG was 1.050 and ended up with 1.010, nice color and lacing, i can taste the honey but the hops over power the beer too much.

I have another kit I am going to start tonight, this time I will use less hops (exactly what they suggest) but probably in secondary and only for a short amount of time…it will be an experimental batch.

Made a new batch tonight, and changed it up a bunch to see how it would come out.

Put 1.5oz of each hops in a muslin sack and then put them in the wort at their respective times. Then i made a couple of small 1/2 oz muslin bags with the remaining hops (they come in 2 oz bags) and put them in the primary.

They will stay in there for the entire week of brewing until i transfer to my secondary.

I also added the honey a few minutes later than it calls for, normally it says 5 minutes, I went with just 2-1/2 minutes left to the boil. Last time I noticed that it seemed to stick more to the bottom of the pot when sitting for the 5 minutes…hopefully this will keep it in the wort…

Because i didnt put the hops straight in like it calls for in the recipe, the beer was much less full of crap in the wort, as such the beer is still dark but not like the last time.

The honey on the bottom of the pot is because it didn’t get mixed in well. Once dissolved, the honey will not coagulate back together. You could heat the honey in a separate pot with some water to get it dissolved. Then add this to your boil pot.

Late additions of hops to the boil, or into the fermenter will add flavor and aroma. Where additions at the beginning of the boil bring out their bitterness. You may not get the results you are hoping for.