Whirlpool/Immersion Chiller: Any experience?

Whirlpool/Immersion Chiller: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

I’m hoping this is a good way to quickly cool and also get good wort separation from trub after cold break.

I have an I.C. already, so should be able to convert to this setup. Right now I have a terrible time with the I.C. causing cold break that clogs the bazooka filter screen on the kettle, and searching for aolutions led me to this.

If I understand the concept, it seems that the whirlpool return from the pump into the inside of the I.C. coil may cause the trub/hops to settle in a cone, or at least be confined somewhat by the actual coil so that relatively clear wort can be siphoned off afterward???

[quote=“Steeler D”]Whirlpool/Immersion Chiller: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

I’m hoping this is a good way to quickly cool and also get good wort separation from trub after cold break.

I have an I.C. already, so should be able to convert to this setup. Right now I have a terrible time with the I.C. causing cold break that clogs the bazooka filter screen on the kettle, and searching for aolutions led me to this.

If I understand the concept, it seems that the whirlpool return from the pump into the inside of the I.C. coil may cause the trub/hops to settle in a cone, or at least be confined somewhat by the actual coil so that relatively clear wort can be siphoned off afterward???[/quote]

No experience with that kind of setup but I do whirlpool by stirring gently. My homemade IC is smaller 25’ of 3/8" copper. With my ground temp well water I can usually get below 100 in less then 15 minutes if I’m diligent about stirring.

I’ve been considering a plate chiller. Had not thought or heard of the concern re: DMS by having the hot wort waiting to pass through the plate chiller. If you’re chilling with a plate chiller in 5 minutes or less would this really be an issue?

[quote=“Steeler D”]Whirlpool/Immersion Chiller: http://www.mrmalty.com/chiller.php

If I understand the concept, it seems that the whirlpool return from the pump into the inside of the I.C. coil may cause the trub/hops to settle in a cone, or at least be confined somewhat by the actual coil so that relatively clear wort can be siphoned off afterward???[/quote]

I’ve been doing it for a couple years, albeit with a much less sophisticated setup. It works great. For the return, all I do is take the hose coming out of the pump and run it back over the IM.

That is encouraging news, Denny. A few questions:

How long is your cooling time?

How long does it take to settle out the trub?

Does it stay within the I.C. “cylinder” fairly well?

Any rough estimate on volume of liquid lost to the trub? Or maybe more easily, how densely compact do you get all the gunk in the center?

Thanks a bunch!

[quote=“Steeler D”]That is encouraging news, Denny. A few questions:

How long is your cooling time?

How long does it take to settle out the trub?

Does it stay within the I.C. “cylinder” fairly well?

Any rough estimate on volume of liquid lost to the trub? Or maybe more easily, how densely compact do you get all the gunk in the center?

Thanks a bunch![/quote]

1.) 10-20 min. tops for 5.5 gal. from boiling. That’s with approximately 50-55F well water

2.) same as above

3.) no, but it stays within the concave bottom of my converted keg kettle. I use a side pickup to avoid the trub.

4.) maybe 1-2 qt. That’s with pellet hops, which go in loose. I bag whole hops, so there is less trub in the kettle.