Whirlpool hop flavor stability

This is how I do hop stands, however I also use a 7 minute addition typically with a 1:1 ratio.

No matter how I’ve used hops, I’ve always noticed a significant drop-off about 30-60 days after kegging. I have not noticed a difference between a 10/5/0 hop schedule compared to the 7/hop stand schedule.

I also tend toward a more moderate overall IBU level. For APA, I’m typically around 40. For an IPA, I’m typically around 60-70. So when the hops start fading, the flavor don’t seem quite so unbalanced.

I think the specific hops used may also play a factor in how quickly fading occurs. I’ve noticed Citra and Cascade tend to decline pretty fast, whereas my Centennial/Colombus APA tends to have better shelf stability.

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]Here’s one I have done. 10.25gal batch. Like I said, I like hop bursting. :smiley:
0.25 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 4 2.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 5.8 IBUs
0.85 oz Centennial [9.90 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 16.4 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7 0.9 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 1.9 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 9 0.8 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 1.6 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 11 0.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 12 1.1 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 8.0 min Hop 13 0.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 8.0 min Hop 14 0.9 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 6.0 min Hop 15 0.4 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 6.0 min Hop 16 0.7 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 17 0.2 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 4.0 min Hop 18 0.5 IBUs
0.15 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 19 0.1 IBUs
0.15 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 20 0.3 IBUs
0.20 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 21 0.0 IBUs
0.20 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 22 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Ahtanum [5.20 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 24 0.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Falconer’s Flight [10.80 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 25 0.0 IBUs[/quote]

This seems similar to Dogfish Head’s “Continuously Hopped” I gather they just have a slow feed into their kettle.

I guess so. Never really thought of it when I made the recipe. I just thought of how I could get the most bang for the buck and came up with that. And this is how I do all my hop forward beers, not matter the hops. I was actually surprised how well anthanum worked in this beer.

I have a buddy that moved here from Delaware a couple years ago. He’s been to DF numerous times and from what he told me, they engineered something that does feed the hops “continuously”.

Now I have never compared this to traditional 10/5/0 min additions so I can’t say its different but I LOVE the results gd it works for me.

I have to admit there may be something to this theory. My latest IPA had an intense hop flavor and aroma when I tapped it on Jan 9. By Feb 28 it has almost no hop flavor. It had declined by such a great extent that I pulled the keg.

I’ll be going back to a more traditional hop schedule when I brew my next IPA/IPA.

So, ah, see, but, um, what about a hop back? I do enjoy what it brings into the keg. I must add, i usually don’t have multiple kegs going so mine are usually out just as the next on comes up! I do like Goldings, to me, just the work horse of the hops fer late addition… just saying… :blah:

Depends how you use it. If you use it to pump hot wort immediately after the boil you are doing nothing different than a FO addition. If you chill then use it you are doing your hop stand. And I stand (pun intended) behind my idea that hop stands have very little stability, unless an additive is used to increase colloidal stability.

Tanal b is new to me but recall final pH is critical to preserve flavor stability. You want to be under 4.5. Over that and things fade FAST. That said, the hop stand/whirlpool hop signature are just one of those things that have a short life. Solution: brew often. :cheers:

In all seriousness, there are some things that help. Dial in pH with Bru’n water/etc, get the beer off the yeast ASAP (prior to dry hop), keep it cold, and drink the stuff sooner than later. You got 3 maybe 4 weeks tops before it’s gone.

I made a hopslam clone last spring with 10oz of various hops in the boil. 2oz of those were flameout hops. Although it’s pushing a year old, it still had a lot of hop flavor. Not so much aroma and the flavor is muted, but it is still there. Contrast this with the recent batch of HT clone where hardly any hop flavor is left. Actually, they’re quite good blended together.

[quote=“zwiller”]Tanal b is new to me but recall final pH is critical to preserve flavor stability. You want to be under 4.5. Over that and things fade FAST. That said, the hop stand/whirlpool hop signature are just one of those things that have a short life. Solution: brew often. :cheers:

In all seriousness, there are some things that help. Dial in pH with Bru’n water/etc, get the beer off the yeast ASAP (prior to dry hop), keep it cold, and drink the stuff sooner than later. You got 3 maybe 4 weeks tops before it’s gone.[/quote]

In the case of the IPA mentioned in my most recent post above, the final pH was 4.46. I turned this beer around pretty fast. Brewed Dec 20. Kegged and dry hopped Jan 3. Was pouring beer by Jan 9.

Although there is always some decline, I’ve gotten 2 months out of kegs of hoppy beer before. But now that I think about it, I think that was before I started doing hop stands. I have also cut down on my dry hopping time in some cases, which may be a factor.