Whirlfloc v. Irish Moss

Anyone noticed a huge difference? Have always used IM, but Jamil is all about Whirlfloc. Also, he adds to the last minute of the boil, as opposed to the last 15 minutes (as is said on the bottles of most IM bottles).

He also says to use 2 teaspoons, as opposed to 1/2 tsp. AND that it needs to be rehydrated (never heard this).

My whirlfloc comes in tablet form and seems to work very well no measuring just toss it in and move on.

There both the same thing made from kelp.

I use whirlfloc one tablet is good for 10 gallons so I split it in half when I brew 5 gallons then 5 min before the end of the boil I add it, don’t add it more then 10 min since it starts to degenerate and won’t be as effective.

It is recommended to rehydrate Irish Moss in a cup of clean water 12-24 hours before you add it 15 mins before then end of the boil. You can use it dry but you will get much better results if you rehydrate it.

[quote=“chuck”]I also rehydrate it and add it 4-5 min before the end of the boil that’s what is recommended.[/quote]Whirlfloc tablets don’t have to be rehydrated (that’s one of their big selling points), but the powdered version does:
http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/WortClarification.html
I crush mine with a mortar and pestle before adding to the kettle to eliminate the annoying fizzy tablet effect.

[quote=“Shadetree”][quote=“chuck”]I also rehydrate it and add it 4-5 min before the end of the boil that’s what is recommended.[/quote]Whirlfloc tablets don’t have to be rehydrated (that’s one of their big selling points), but the powdered version does:
http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/WortClarification.html
I crush mine with a mortar and pestle before adding to the kettle to eliminate the annoying fizzy tablet effect.[/quote]

I hate that fizzy tablet too, but I’ve never thought of crushing it first. Thanks for the tip!

I change what I had first written no more rehydrating for me after I read that it’s not needed and would be detrimental, I do like the crushing idea but then again it’s just one more thing to remember :?

I use Supermoss, its carageenan which is the purified component of Irish moss/kelp. I do rehydrate, it lets the stuff swell and becme more effective. Its interesting that JZ adds it so late in the boil, I think I like that idea. Maybe it will clump up more and more quickly.

I used to use IM and really I could never tell that it did much of anything. I still got that cold break that wanted to remain suspended. The Supermoss does help things settle to the bottom of the kettle more quickly and completely.

I use whirlfloc and it seems to work better than Irish Moss. IME Irish moss did work a lot better when hydrated, i would just put a tsp or so in a coffee mug and run some of my 2nd runnings right into the mug and just let it sit until it was time to add to the boil. My addition times vary from 10-1 min left, whatever i feel like and whenever i grab the tablet and throw it in.