Which Pump to get?

I am looking to get a pump and wanted to see what people had for recommendations and/or considerations. I was going to get one of the steel head pumps, but everyone seems to be sold out. Is it worth me waiting or should I just go with one of the other pumps offered?

I use a March 809 HA with the 815 impeller upgrade. I love it and it works great. I can’t really see the advantage to the SS head other than to say you’ve got an SS head!

I saw that you had this Denny. Is it the same as just buying an 815 or does the 809 with the 815 upgrade give you something else?

I’ve got to disagree. I have the chugger stainless head (because march is too expensive). I love the pump and it works great… not because its stainless. I went with stainless because the polysulfone heads are easy to break and damage the threads. Why keep buying heads at $30?

I have the same pump as Loopie and have been quite happy with it. Had the March been available at the same price I’m sure I’d have been happy with it too. As long as you’re semi-careful taking the head apart I’m sure it isn’t that big of deal to work with the polysulfone head.

I’ve got the March 815, I believe the upgrade Denny has just results in faster pump rate. Yes the head is polysulphone, I’ve had it for a couple years and never broke it once. I’ve also never had the need to change out a head. I know some people are just prone to breaking stuff, I’m not one of those. I do have mine mounted in a small toolbox since I use it as a portable unit. I think it depends on how you’re going to use it, but with a little care you won’t be changing any heads out. The March pump has been much used in the homebrewing community and is reliable, Chugger is the new kid on the block and they had QC issues at first but I understand they have things worked out now. Either one will work. I believe March is American made, versus Chugger being Chinese made. Otherwise they are very similar to the point of the heads being interchangeable. I suppose that means one is a knockoff of the other.

I saw that you had this Denny. Is it the same as just buying an 815 or does the 809 with the 815 upgrade give you something else?[/quote]

Nope, it ends up being the same as an 815.

how many heads did you have to buy for your March? I’ve used mine for years and never had the need.

how many heads did you have to buy for your March? I’ve used mine for years and never had the need.[/quote]
ZERO! Beacause I went with a stainless head. :wink:

how many heads did you have to buy for your March? I’ve used mine for years and never had the need.[/quote]
ZERO! Beacause I went with a stainless head. :wink: [/quote]

And I’ve gone through exactly the same number of polysulfone heads!

I don’t like the metal heads because they cause too much heat loss. I’ve had the same plastic head on my March 809/815 for over a decade now. I recognized that piping connected to the head could break off the head, so I mounted my pump in a small frame that also encompasses the pipe fittings. That way, there is never a torque placed on the plastic head.