Which is better?

An extra week of bulk aging or bottle conditioning?

I made our host’s Alt kit. I want it ready for a fellow homebrewer’s End-of-Oktoberfest party on Oct. 6. It’s been in the bucket for 2.5 weeks now (60-65 degrees range) the krausen has dropped. I am not bothering with a secondary.

I was planning on bottling on the 6th week (per directions) but after reading the reviews, I am wondering if I should bottle on the 5th week and give it 4 weeks in the bottles as a few reviews suggested.

Any advice would be appreciated.
:cheers:

I don’t really have an answer for this question, and I know it has been debated on forums whether bulk aging/conditioning or bottle conditioning imparts a better flavor (maybe worth a split batch experiment).

I would say, however, if you are trying to meet a deadline (bachelor party, wedding, party, etc.), its best to have it in bottles longer.

My thought is, many people swear by 3 weeks MINIMUM in bottles before they drink it. I would go with longer bottling time in your situation.

+1 on no secondary.

[quote=“Pietro”]II would say, however, if you are trying to meet a deadline (bachelor party, wedding, party, etc.), its best to have it in bottles longer.

My thought is, many people swear by 3 weeks MINIMUM in bottles before they drink it. I would go with longer bottling time in your situation. [/quote]

1+ at least 3 weeks in the bottle before you serve it, if you are bottle conditioning with priming sugar.

I leave my alt’s on the yeast cake for 3 weeks then bulk age/lager in a keg in the fridge. Then I will bottle off the keg if necessary for transport.

Your most important consideration is the date of your event. I would back plan 3 weeks from the date to bottle. Then if there is time between the 3 weeks on the yeast and the 3 weeks of bottle conditioning, I would bulk age in a secondary but only if you can do it in the fridge.

Also I’d make a giant poster on how to pour a bottle conditioned beer. :smiley: Unless the friend is a homebrewer I always pour bottle conditioned beers for my guests so they don’t end up pouring a bunch of yeast in their glass.

Thanks.
I’ll go longer in the bottles then.
I am fermenting and bulk aging in a swamp cooler. So it won’t be spot on traditional, but my swamp is pretty cool right now, and I’ll up the ice for my aging to cool it further.

And yes, the guy throwing the party is a homebrewer and a few other brewers are going to be bringing some too. Should be fun.

Lol, I’ve seen some homebrewer’s do this and I know I was there when I first started.