Where to find fresh or dried chamomile?

Brewing a wit this weekend, tried one LHBS by me, didn’t have it. The Brewstrong podcast says you can get it from teabags (?). Would it be hard to isolate in the tea, or is there all-chamomile tea?

Just trying to see if anyone has found it @ Whole Foods or somewhere like that.

Chamomile tea is all chamomile and you can just open the tea bags and use it. Whole Foods might actually sell in bulk, too.

Nice thanks brutha.

I agree with Shade, but be careful and read the box. Some chamomile teas are blended with other ingredients, such as black tea and it’s not always obvious from the front of the box.

[quote=“Pietro”]Brewing a wit this weekend, tried one LHBS by me, didn’t have it. The Brewstrong podcast says you can get it from teabags (?). Would it be hard to isolate in the tea, or is there all-chamomile tea?
Just trying to see if anyone has found it @ Whole Foods or somewhere like that.[/quote]

If perchance you live in an ethnically diverse area, make a bee-line to any Hispanic grocery store (and probably most Asian ones as well). There you’re likely to find inexpensive chamomile…often, in bulk. I’ve found quite few useful brewing items for beer and mead at my local Hispanic, Chinese, Korean, and Indian/Pakistani markets.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]I agree with Shade, but be careful and read the box. Some chamomile teas are blended with other ingredients, such as black tea and it’s not always obvious from the front of the box.[/quote]I can’t imagine why anyone would blend black tea with chamomile - the caffeine would totally defeat the whole point of the chamomile. Maybe it’s blended by the same folk that make Four Loco? :wink:

I agree. I actually saw this somewhere when I was reading the ingredients. I think it’s more common to blend with other herbs.

The Professor is correct. Goto a Mexican grocery store and you’ll likely find it, dried, in bags.