When to use a secondary fermenter?

I am new to brewing and have made a couple 1 gallon batches. I’d like to start making some 5 gallon batches. Most of the kits I have looked at for extract brewing state that a secondary fermenter is optional. When should I use a secondary fermenter on a 5 gallon extract kit? If I don’t use a secondary should I keep it in the primary longer? Thanks for the help.

I personally don’t secondary anymore because I keg. I leave in primary for around 3 weeks before transferring. There are other people here who very much stand by secondary fermentation.

:beers:
Rad

I’m pro ‘secondary.’ It’s truly not a secondary unless you are adding fermentables. I feel that if you transfer gently there’s enough dissolved CO2 to avoid O2 ingress. Plus, if you were really worried you could shoot CO2 in the vessel
The only time I don’t secondary are beers that are hazy- wheats, wit, NEIPA.
Of course it’s easy for me to say because I utilize conicals so it’s a quick dump.

1 Like

I have a lot of time on my hands lately and have been doing a secondary on most things… mainly because I’m bored… but also because I am confident with my process and no longer fear infection or oxidation at this stage. I find that I like the results and maybe it’s a touch clearer and there is a less yeast being transferred to my bottles.

1 Like

@squeegeethree my man! I tell my ‘story’ often. But here it is again:
When I first started doing 10gal batches I would have to use 2 carboys (which I hated and prompted me to get my first conical). Anyway, I would secondary. Except one time I was short a 5gal carboy as it was tied up. Therefore, I put one in secondary and left the other in primary. The one in secondary cleared much better and quicker. I took this opportunity to see what would happen with the keg. I marked them and noticed I had to pull off a lot more beer to get ‘clear’ beer and when opening them up there was a lot more sediment in that keg.

Now, I encourage brewers to do both ways and ultimately decide what works best for THEM. We all have our quirks. For me clarity is just as important as taste. My good friend @sneezles61 doesn’t mind as much and just suggest serving from an opaque cup! Brilliant! Nothing wrong with either way, just different. That’s what makes this hobby great!

3 Likes

Me do secondary. Most people. Say well. Not necercary unless you add. Fruit for example. But. Me feel it clears my beer. Up. Aka condition for my witbier. Dobleave it into my primary fermenter. Must say. Do love my speidel fermentors.

Personally, I’ve found it to be a waste of time but, more importantly, a risk for exposing your beer to oxygen. the first three brews I did I used a secondary and all three had some level of oxidation. It could have been coincidental but I doubt it since I was very careful in my practices and cleanliness. Every beer since then I only used a primary and have not had a single case of oxidation (about 20 brew sessions). if you want clearer beer, my experience has been - 1) use a whirfloc tablet 15 minutes before the boil ends, and 2) give it some time in the keg/bottle and it will clear up. Again just my opinion, but I think clarity for the sake of clarity is not all that important. Unoxidized beer with a little haze is a far better situation than a crystal clear beer with a taste of cardboard.

I can’t speak to the dry-hoppers and fruit brewers since I’ve never done it. but if you’re doing basic brews, I think you’re better off sticking with a primary and skip the secondary.

2 Likes

Could have been inexperience in terms of transfer that caused the oxidation, or maybe even a bad seal on your fermenter. Hell, my first 3 beers were all a different sort of junk just because I had yet to figure out what I was doing

I personally see why it’s nicer to have clearer beer. Letting it clear in bottles is dink in my opinion, because all the gunk is just going to settle at the bottom. Sometimes I like to drink from my bottles, and I don’t like having to leave some extra beer at the end just to avoid getting a mouthful of gunk.

All things being equal, if you aren’t going to secondary, I’ve always thought some extra time in the primary fermenter is a decently suitable replacement

I was a primary only person. I think a secondary does have value and everyone can work up to it on their own way or not. I have to admit having a TILT hydrometer has given me more confidence in the transfer process because I can see And hear that activity is slowing but with a constant hydrometer readings I can time my transfer better.
If I miss the mark and the beer is practically done fermenting I don’t bother to transfer. But my goal now is to have a main 8.5 stainless fermenter as a primary and within a few days transfer to a 5 or 6.5 secondary.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it. Sounds like I’ll stick with primary only for a bit and work my way to getting a secondary in the process.

Pushing it to a secondary with CO2 would be worth looking at… And a way to blast CO2 into the secondary just before you rack… All kinds of cool gizmos to ponder!
Sneezles61

No secondary here. The last time I used my secondary Vessel it was by accident… I didn’t realize it until I had zero headspace after racking a beer on Brewday into 5 gallon fermenter, Instead of my usual 6 1/2 for primary. Sheesh :roll_eyes:… My beer clears fine, sorry my favorite pic again !

1 Like