When is there too much Rye?

That is not nice… I’ll leave it alone until this W/E… Sneezles61

That is strange. I’ve brewed 50% rye beers several times on an electric system, and have never experienced scorching like that.

My experience is the same as voltron’s. I also have an electric system, make a brew that is 50% rye and I have never seen anything like that.

I’ve had some of the white/tan residual that cleans right off… I use well water… Would the Phosphoric acid along with… ? have an effect on the stainless? My pH is where it has been for many, many brews… After mash in and 15 minutes I was at 5.4 pH… Plus, no effects on my SS baskets…
Maybe Gambrinus wasn’t in a good mood that day…? The fermenters are bubbling along nicely… I’ll take a sample this W/E for the hydrometer… That’ll be a bigger taste sample… Dammit, Drew and Denny just had a podcast about smoke (Rauch) beer… Sneezles61

I boiled yesterday with a strong PBW solution… Not much came off… I did color the water and that concerns me… Maybe discolor a light colored brew? I’m thinking I have to get an element… Sneezles61

Soak it overnight in oxyclean

It was soaked for about 5 days in PBW… I should try hanging it in Star san now… I think my last resort might be to bring a keg out in the garage and use the Dremel tool… Might be very slow…:confused: Sneezles61

Is PBW the same as oxyclean? I’ve soaked off some pretty stubborn stuff of stainless and aluminum with the oxyclean

That are both an alkaline cleaner… I’ll have my wife find some just in case… Sneezles61

100% rye beer. These guys may have been drinking. I hope so

Maybe the second guys brew… the first one, although a small brew does sound inviting as a summer brew… Any one else like to share with us… hhmmm? You over there… put your hand down… :joy: Sneezles61 Sneezles61

I was a little suspicious of the 100% beer from the look of their face. I think the one guy was just being polite. The second beer they drank faster.

1 Like

I thought the same thing…the 100% beer looked like shandy; sounds like he got a beat down at the club contest, “they said it was too sharp, too bitter”.
It was fun to watch though!

I have it soaking in Oxy clean… It is removing some stuff… This may take a few more days… But what else do I have to do, but watch it… scrub a bit… and watch some more… IF it does get this element clean… I’ll be sold! And a Thank You to Brew Cat… Sneezles61

I’ve been looking around the internet… trying to understand why this happened… The only thing I could come up with is the malliard reaction with Rye was more pronounced… I was trying to find if the temp for malliard was lower… But alas, to no avail…I did sample and it does have a different background taste… Maybe 10 gallons down the tube… oh dear…:disappointed: Now I wonder if I should save any yeast too!! Sneezles61

Sorry about your batch, @sneezles61 …and your element.

Looking to use some unexplored(by me) hop types in this next Rye Pale ale…Do any of these hops play well with rye??
Thinking about choosing from Mandarina Bavaria, El Dorado, Polaris, Motueka, Nelson Sauvin(all in stock at LHBS)

1 Like

I’ll find a way to pawn it off on un suspecting drinkers… The element… well, I’ll have to order a new one… then, get this one cleaned up in the spare time… A back up if you will… Sneezles61

Decided to go with a combo of Mandarina Bavaria and Centennial for a citrusy twist on my next Rye Pale ale. Hoping citrus notes go well with Rye …
Grain bill is 4 pounds each of 2 row and Vienna, and 2 pounds of Rye, 0.5 lb of C-40. @45 IBU, 5.63% ABV. Wyeast 1450.

1 Like

I’ve got some Mandrina hops waiting… I haven’t done a thing yet with my Rye bock… I dunno if time will help… I really wanted to re-use that yeast for a few more brews… You put so much time and effort into creating and brewing… then to have some off flavors come along with the yeast… Maybe pull out quart and do a starter? Trying to get away from the disasters brew? I could always sample the brew cap after doing a couple of steps to see whats happening… Maybe… Sneezles61

I would think that if you harvested the yeast, chilled/ stored until ready and decanted with a SNSYS you should be ok. The black element and off flavor problem would not be a yeast issue…??.. but then again I’m not sure what the cause was.