When Good Cappers Go Bad

Absolute brute of a bottling session on Sunday - Don’t even know where to start.

I have the bench capper from this site and all of a sudden when I press down to cap, the capper part shoots to the side - meaning that I couldn’t get the caps on straight and it wouldn’t even seal them - so then I started using my old style capper to try and get the seal - this resulted in 8 bottles smashing right in front of me. Wife wasn’t impressed with the mess I was causing with broken glass and stout everywhere.

Ended up getting 40 bottles of brew sufficiently tightened so I decided to store them for a few days upside down in the fast rack so I could be sure they weren’t still leaking.
Checked them this morning and 5 more had leaked.

So looks like I’m getting 35 bottles out of my 5 gallon batch.

Sucks especially because this was a RIS that I’d brewed in October and had sat in secondary for 5 months.
Oh - and to make matters worse - I only realized yesterday that I had forgot to add more yeast so I’ll be crossing my fingers for about a year to see if I get any carbonation at all.

Hope this at least cheers someone up about a bad time they had - it certainly makes me feel better to vent here rather than go hire a shrink!

Now - off to buy a new capper - any recommendations…

Are you perhaps over-pressing on the capper?

The capper bell has a fair amount of mechanical advantage. You don’t need to arm wrestle the capers; you only need to apply about 10 year-old girl levels of strength. Much more force and you’re just stressing the capper’s parts, and snapping bottle necks…

Are you using Fermentor’s Favorite bottle caps?

Super Agata bench capper.

yeah - fermenters favorites. Had a pack of 128. There were 13 left at the end with all the mess ups.
I just ordered the Super Agata. Guess I cant complain that the old one served me for about 40 batches.

Those caps are garbage! If you have any left, I’d throw them away. Don’t know the what, or how of them, but I had the same problem with them not sealing. Luckily I’m close to a shop that sells the cheapy bulk gold caps…and they’ve not let me down.

+1 to the Super Agata Bench model.

:cheers:

[quote=“Flibster”]yeah - fermenters favorites. Had a pack of 128. There were 13 left at the end with all the mess ups.
I just ordered the Super Agata. Guess I cant complain that the old one served me for about 40 batches.[/quote]

I had the exact same problem. I even went out and bought a new capper, thinking that mine went kaput. New capper, same problem. Then I bought a different brand of caps (L.D. Carlson.) Problem solved. I contacted Northern Brewer and they promptly issued me a refund for the bad caps.

I had the same problem with Fermentors Favorites caps. Only tested six of them. Wish NB would offer a refund. They ignored my review of the caps.

I’ve used several different colors of fermentor’s favorites without a problem. Must be lack of quality control between batches of caps.

I have a brand new bag of fermenters favorite caps in my brew shelf… I have been following this issue for a while now and will be pitching them shortly…I do have three bags of L.D. Carlson 02 absorbing caps…better idea…Tank :cheers:

I wrote to Customer Service. I had a refund within a day.

I received a refund today. NB admitted a poor quality control shipment from an unnamed manufacturer.

[quote=“Flibster”]yeah - fermenters favorites. Had a pack of 128. There were 13 left at the end with all the mess ups.
I just ordered the Super Agata. Guess I cant complain that the old one served me for about 40 batches.[/quote]

Northern Brewer will send refunds to anyone who contacts them about problems with the Fermentors Favorites caps. Their customer service is pretty good. They might reimburse for broken equipment.