What's your preferred Pilsner Malt?

Country supply group.

Almost finished with my sack and experiment. I liked the Rahr Pilsner Malt in the belgian, saison, and sour recipes I tried. I probably wouldn’t say that it was my favorite pilsner malt I’ve ever used, but in these recipes I thought the Rahr was passable. I also tried to do a comparison with a couple of kolshes and an American lager, and in those beers I much preferred the versions I made with euro malts. The Rahr versions were just too bland, even after experimenting with munich, biscuit, and other additions. I realize that Rahr malt is probably more authentic in an american lager, but I liked the euro malt version better.

Anyway, I certainly don’t want to bash Rahr, and would even recommend if the cost difference is a concern, but moving forward I’ll probably be selective as to when I use it.

I’ve been working through a sack of Best Malz, and it’s fantastic. I did a SMASH pilsner ale with homegrown Sterlings that turned out great. Thanks for the feedback. Definitely worth the price and hassle of tracking it down.

The only Pils malt I’ve ever used is MFB. Anyone have any experience with or opinions on it? It’s the only pils malt my LHBS carried for a long while, but they recently started selling sacks of Best (but not by the pound).

I don’t have a mill, so I crush everything at the LHBS. I also don’t have a container for long-term storage, but I don’t see that as much of a barrier.

If I were to buy a sack of Best, I would either have to buy a mill or get them to let me bring it into the store to crush.

Worth it?

In the past, I’ve made at least 6 SMaSH lagers with Franco-Belges pilsen malt
and have always enjoyed the bounty from that grain.

MFB pils malt is very good. I’d put it up there with Weyermann and Castle. I think Durst is a bit better, and I like Best best!

Thanks guys…I’ll keep the Best in mind for the future. Good to know that I’m not using crap with the MFB. It’s always seemed fine to me, I just haven’t had anything to compare against.

:cheers:

Denny,
Where do you get Durst? I see Best a few places, but no Durst.

Just got my first sack of Best! I have been using Dingeman’s and had good results, but visited the host’s shop while in Milwaukee and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to save on shipping!

Denny,
Where do you get Durst? I see Best a few places, but no Durst.[/quote]

I’ve gotten it through group buys with my club, but I can’t name the source.

Denny,
Where do you get Durst? I see Best a few places, but no Durst.[/quote]

I’ve gotten it through group buys with my club, but I can’t name the source.[/quote]

Turns out our host has it. The catalog says German pilsner, but in the description in small print (small to my 62 year old eyes, anyway) it says durst.