What's wrong with me?

I just started kegging. I now have 11 kegs and 19 cases of empty bottles. WHY can’t I bring myself to stop saving new empties?

Haha, nice. You can always sell the empty bottles on craigslist. you may be able to flip and profit off the kegs too

How do you get empty bottles? I haven’t bought a bottled beer since I started brewing and kegging my own!

I was guilty of saving my empties for a long time. Finally sent them all to the recycle bin - had cases of them. Let it go my friend, let it go.

I will say though, save about a dozen and definitely save any 22 oz bottles - I still use them when giving beer away or setting a few back to keep.

BREW MORE BEER…turn those empties into fulls!
Then send them to me :wink:

I’m guilty of still drinking a fair amount of commercial. Hard to break that habit with so many good, interesting products out there.

I have enough bottles, yet still feel guilty when I toss a commercial one in the recycle bin.

[quote=“tookalisten”]
I will say though, save about a dozen and definitely save any 22 oz bottles - I still use them when giving beer away or setting a few back to keep.[/quote]
Yeah, I’m building a collection of 22’s also. I need to get a beergun, so I can give more away and brew more often! I enjoy the brewing process just as much as I enjoy the final product. It’ll be hard to keep up my 2012 brewing pace if I have to drink 90% of my kegs on my own.

I’m guilty of still drinking a fair amount of commercial. Hard to break that habit with so many good, interesting products out there.[/quote]
Me too. I always look forward to a new treat and a possible inspiration to homebrew something that I’ve enjoyed.

You can use your bottles for a big beer that you want to age like a RIS, an old ale or a barlerwine and the like.

Yeah, I feel the same way. But I was just thinking: feeling wasteful must be at the core of what motivates a horder to stockpile crap. Time to let go before I need professional help. :wink:

[quote=“wallybeer”]
Me too. I always look forward to a new treat and a possible inspiration to homebrew something that I’ve enjoyed.[/quote]
Absolutely. Case in point from my current supply: Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is a good opportunity to experience Australian Galaxy hops in all their glory.

I enjoy commercial beer in an entirely new (and improved) way as a homebrewer.

I have a dozen kegs but still keep a lot of bottles on hand too- especially for bottling beer I want to age, bigger beers, etc. I also bottle in 22’s quite a bit. If you keep your bottles clean, it really is not much work to bottle. As a matter of fact, yesterday I bottled a batch of IPA in about 30 minutes, and it took me longer than that to use my counterpressure filler while filling up about 18 bottles out of kegs yesterday. I love my counterpressure filler, but it is not exactly “work free.”

Save some of them and find some of the many brand new brewers that got starter kits for xmas and give some away - sure you would find some takers.

Absolutely. Case in point from my current supply: Schlafly Tasmanian IPA is a good opportunity to experience Australian Galaxy hops in all their glory.[/quote]

I second that. Tasmanian IPA is my favorite beer right now. Brewed with the Galaxy hops recently and am waiting for the bottles to carbonate. Can’t wait.

Same here! I keg, but also have plenty of bottles for whenever I need them, yet I still won’t throw out a new empty commercial bottle especially if I know the label comes of easily. But what I end up doing is pushing the still labeled bottles to the back and never really using them.

It’s a sickness :twisted:

Got plenty of bottles too now that I’m kegging. I still find myself rinsing the bottle after having a commercial beer even though it is going in the recycle bin. :lol:

Use them to give away beer! I bottle 8-12 bottles per batch, then store them away to give as gifts to friends and coworkers at Christmas every year. Last month I gave away six cases of beer. A gift that is very appreciated and doesn’t clutter up someone’s house.

I actually end up with bottle shortages at times, since I rarely buy commercial beers.

I’m guilty of still drinking a fair amount of commercial. Hard to break that habit with so many good, interesting products out there.[/quote]
I made it a goal this year to stop drinking and buying so much commercial beer. Only when I want to get a taste for a style I want to brew or the occasional beer at a local brewery or bar. Otherwise, it’s straight up homebrew for me, and if I don’t have any homebrew…well, I don’t drink beer then, which motivates me to make sure I’ve got some on all the time.

Bottle collection is a sickness. I completely agree with that. As it stands right now I’ve got a good four or five dozen 22 oz bottles in my storage closet ( drink way too much commercial beer. Too much good stuff out there and just got brewing at home again for first time in 4 months). I also made the mistake of asking the tap house I used to work at to save any bombers left behind.