Whats a great seasonal beer around here (Minnesota) at end of February

Now that the holiday season is over I can concentrate on brewing again. This is the beginning of my second season of brewing so this year I am going to try to focus on better beer completion dates relative to the season/time of year. So,what should I consider brewing now so that at the end of February/beginning of March that brew will be “in season”…btw, I do not currently have any lagering equipment

My preference, because I like them year round, is NB’s Dead Ringer IPA and American Amber Ale. They both hold their flavors long term.

Edited for bad proof reading.

I have yet to try the dead ringer although its always been on my radar. Today I am brewing a Surly Furious clone. I love the idea of a red ale. I am really wanting to do something with it that is very red in color, can I as some steeping grains that will help to accentuate the color I am trying to achieve?

How about a saison?

If you want a red, hoppy goodness, check out the ‘Waldo Lake Amber’ kit. It’s a recipe designed by Denny and to me is kind of like a hoppy Irish Red. If you get it, make sure to include the WY1450 yeast.

you could try a lager in Mn. as its been such a weenie wanker winter. Get it close to a window while fermenting, covered of course. Be brave…. Sneezles61

ok, so my wife and I visited Lupulin Brewing in Big Lake this last weekend and they had an absolutely wonderful citra red ipa on tap that I decided to try to clone. Brewed it up yesterday. I still am on the quest for a perfect seasonal beer and am leaning towards a doppelbock. Any suggestions or tips. This would be the first attempt at this type of beer. I currently have two big ipa beers in fermentation so I am wanting something different. Thanks for all your input guys.

Interesting! The recipe uses both CaraRed and Melanoidin.

I’m curious about what each malt added to the recipe. Any insights you are willing to share about each malt would be appreciated!

I did read the short descriptions of each at the NB and Weyermann sites. It appears that each provides a different shade (intensity?) of red color. Are there also differences in the flavors each provides?

Here is the recepie that I came up with.

60 min boil
.25 english med. crystal
.25 cara red
.25 belgium special b
.2 pale chocolate
.5 german dark munich

6 lbs amber lme
1 lb golden dme
1 lb begium dlme
1 oz citra 60
1 oz citra 10
1 oz cirtra flame out
1oz centenial at flame out

2 oz citra dry hop
next time I will deffinately add more cara red

I put the mix together based on reading other recepies on line. I haven’t tasted it yet so I don’t have any perspective to give. Although in hindsight, I still feel I should have kept it a little more basic to I could direct the results and make changes.

this is the citra red from Lupulin Brewing in Big Lake