Whats a good F.G for caribou slobber

My first batch of caribou slobber has been fermenting now for 4 weeks as of tomorrow. 2 weeks in the primary, 2 weeks in the secondary. I did not take an O.G, but I just took a F.G and got 1.014. Should it be put in bottles or leave it go. Havent seen much activity until just after my gravity sample. Is it normal to see some bubbling after putting the air lock back in? I dont want to experience Bottle Bombs on my first batch! Im getting anxious and want to drink it…

1.014 isn’t bad. If you would have left it in the primary for three weeks it would have ended at 1.011 or 1.012.
Take two more hydrometer readings. If they are the same go to bottling.

After two weeks, most beers have already hit final gravity. It most likely hit FG after 5 days or so. Next time don’t rack to secondary until you’re sure it’s done fermenting. You don’t want to rack off the yeast until it’s done it’s thing. Take a gravity reading 2-3 days in a row and if it doesn’t drop, you’re good to go. Let the beer tell you when it’s done, not a calendar.

Having said all that, skip the secondary. Unless you’re dry hopping, adding fruit, wood, etc, collecting yeast, there’s no need for it.

After 4 years of brewing I’ve learned to pitch the yeast, watch for fermentation to being, then let it do it’s thing for 3 weeks or so. Then keg or bottle. I don’t worry about racking to secondary (except for the reasons above) or even taking a gravity reading until I’m ready to keg.

Not knowing the O G it’s only a guess, but 14 is a good FG. You are probably done.

I’m assuming a 5 gallon extract kit. I’m on my third Slobber batch right now. If you followed directions with no additions, your OG was 1.052. My FG on my last batch was 1.012, but only after 3 weeks in primary (I’m with Dobe, I don’t use a secondary). After 2 weeks, my SG was 1.018, so I got some very measurable movement in the third week. Bottled after week 4 with no problems.

Some info so you can compare:

1. Pitched dry windsor ale yeast (not rehydrated) @ 54f, fermented at 64f
    Aerated by shaking carboy for 2 min.

2. 16 days later, SG was 1.018. Roused yeast, let temp freerise to 74* (room temp) (the gravity sample had a slight “sour milk” taste)

3. 5 days later, SG was 1.012, sour milk taste barely detectable.

4. Bottled a week later, taste was really good. Beer was VERY clear.

Total—34 days in fermentor. no secondary.

1. Primed with just less than 1/2 cup corn sugar–came out undercarbed badly. Next time will use more, probably 4.5 ounces (I weigh now, more accurate).

Hope this helps somewhat.
Good luck,

Ron

Can you, or someone, (I know, a year later) explain:

" Roused yeast"?

18 days have elapsed on my Caribou Slobber in primary. Last hydrometer readings (day 11 and day 14) have both been 1.02, OG was 1.052.

I’d like to see it at 1.014 or 1.012 before bottling.

If “rousing yeast” is gently stirring, I’d like to know that asap! Or is it agitation like at the start?

Thanks.

[quote=“Grants”]Can you, or someone, (I know, a year later) explain:

" Roused yeast"?

18 days have elapsed on my Caribou Slobber in primary. Last hydrometer readings (day 11 and day 14) have both been 1.02, OG was 1.052.

I’d like to see it at 1.014 or 1.012 before bottling.

If “rousing yeast” is gently stirring, I’d like to know that asap! Or is it agitation like at the start?

Thanks.[/quote]

You can just gently rock the carboy/bucket back and forth. This should be enough to kick up some yeast into suspension.

Chances are pretty good that it’s done though.