What yeast for bear republic racer 5?

Does anyone what yeast bear republic uses for their racer 5?

Masheriff

BYO says 1272.

I have some memory that they use Scottish Ale. Not sure where I got that information though. I would avoid 1056 but I think you could get away with either 1272 or 1450.

Interesting…would not be a surprise if they used that for their Red Rocket, which they tout as a perverted Americanized Scottish Ale-ish thing…

My clone recipe calls for Wyeast 1272 or White labs WLP051. I was just hoping to use the same yeast as bear republic.

MaSheriff

I thought Bear Republic beers were bottle conditioned.

You could just harvest some yeast from a bottle, right?

I made 22 gallons a few months back with US-05 and it was a stellar beer. My friends liked mine better than the original. It was 8% abv.

Wow, 8% abv? Mine is going to come out at 5.7 %.

MaSheriff

[quote=“MaSheriff”]Wow, 8% abv? Mine is going to come out at 5.7 %.

MaSheriff[/quote]Sounds kind of low … Bear Republic’s is 7%

I would think that US-05 would make a drier, lighter, and less malty beer than Racer 5. It has a distinctive maltiness/body/sweetness for an American IPA which I think is why a lot of people like it. They seem to use a lot of low color crystal and something other than Chico yeast. If I were going to try to clone this beer I would use 2-row, at least a lb C20/5 gallons, and either the Scottish Ale or Denny’s 1450. Mueller’s hopping looks pretty reasonable to me as a place to start.

[quote=“JLap”]I would think that US-05 would make a drier, lighter, and less malty beer than Racer 5. It has a distinctive maltiness/body/sweetness for an American IPA which I think is why a lot of people like it.[/quote]Perhaps I got away with it because of the added maltiness that the 8% gave me. It was a dead ringer and the hops were also spot on. Below is what I was shooting for but my OG turned out to be 1.080.

First of all, awesome beer sheet! The earlier post I made was a mistake, I posted the final gravity of my SN celebration ale. My racer should be around 7% abv.

Masheriff

MullerBrau - I see that you mashed at 155 and had attenuation in the 72% range. That probably had a lot to do with your success using that yeast. If I had to guess at the FG of Racer 5 I’d say around 1.018. I based my comments regarding 1056 on my experience using mash temps around 150-152 and getting around 80% attenuation. Good to know that the hops are right on in case I also decide to give this a shot. Thanks for the info.

[quote=“JLap”]MullerBrau - I see that you mashed at 155 and had attenuation in the 72% range. That probably had a lot to do with your success using that yeast. If I had to guess at the FG of Racer 5 I’d say around 1.018. I based my comments regarding 1056 on my experience using mash temps around 150-152 and getting around 80% attenuation. Good to know that the hops are right on in case I also decide to give this a shot. Thanks for the info.[/quote]Sorry, I should have updated the spreadsheet before I posted it. My OG was 1.080 and FG was 1.019 for ABV 8%. That was probably higher than 72.6% attenuation.

The Racer 5 kit will arrive today and I am very interested in the hops and the hops schedule. Does anyone have a hop schedule that they used?

[quote=“MaSheriff”]The Racer 5 kit will arrive today and I am very interested in the hops and the hops schedule. Does anyone have a hop schedule that they used?[/quote]My hop schedule is about 4 or 5 posts up above this. It was an awesome beer.

I brewed the Racer 5 today and used 1/2 oz. Chinook hops @ 90 mins and 1 3/4 oz. Centennial @ 60 mins. No other hop additions except for dry hop. I will post back @ dry hop.

Masheriff