Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

What to do with an extra yeast starter

Thursday I made two yeast starters for a batch of pumpkin ale that I made on Friday. I made 1 with some month old 1272 slurry. The other one I made was with some 1 year old 1945. I was unsure which one I was going to use, and I kind of wanted to see if I had any viable yeast in the 1945. The 1272 was ready to go at the time I was ready to pitch, so I used it. The 1945 looked like no activity or very little. When I woke up this morning the 1945 starter was going pretty good. The problem lies in I would like to keep the yeast, but I do not have the ingredients to brew or the time for another brewing day. How should I go about to keep the healthy yeast for a little bit longer?

Just let the starter ferment out, then put it in the fridge. A few days before you want to brew with it, decant the starter liquid and build it up with some fresh wort (starting with a year-old pack, the odds are good you don’t have enough yeast to pitch yet anyway). If you’re going to store it for more than a couple months, you might want to step it up twice before pitching.

Actually both were from yeast slurries.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com