What to do with all this Scotch

People keep giving me bottles of good scotch. Just last week, I got two bottles of Glenfiddich, and I’ve barely started on the bottle of Laphroaig I was given 6 months ago. I like sipping a glass every now and then, but at the rate I drink it I’ll be 80 before I finish these bottles. Does anyone have any recipes that they can recommend for these?

And before anyone asks, no I won’t ship them to you, but I’ll be glad to share with any regular from the forum who shows up at my door. :slight_smile:

Oh all the ideas I had…until I read that last line haha :cheers:

I made a vanilla bean robust porter with scotch that was vary good. I could give you the recipe if thats something you would want to try

I haven’t tried one yet but people say hot scotchies are good. Basically some first mash runnings right out of the tun and some scotch.

I say drink 'em until you’re 80 then. Scotch isn’t known for its expiration date, so enjoy your lifetime supply!

Hmmmmmm… We could trade friends. I seem to have the opposite problem:)

Cook with it. Scotch goes great in beef stew. Otherwise just hold onto it. You’ll get there eventually, and if not then you can always pass it down to the kids/grandkids/etc.

[quote=“rebuiltcellars”]People keep giving me bottles of good scotch. Just last week, I got two bottles of Glenfiddich, and I’ve barely started on the bottle of Laphroaig I was given 6 months ago. I like sipping a glass every now and then, but at the rate I drink it I’ll be 80 before I finish these bottles. Does anyone have any recipes that they can recommend for these?

And before anyone asks, no I won’t ship them to you, but I’ll be glad to share with any regular from the forum who shows up at my door. :slight_smile: [/quote]

What’s your address?

1 Like

+1

Some people have all the problems. Those are some great single malts. Have a tasting party. I regift bottles of things i dont drink. But please don’t cook with it.

Scottish 250 Shilling, Imperial Double Wee Heavy

Something else to consider…At Irish weekend in N. Wildwood, NJ, they used to sell the most delicious Irish Whiskey cakes. Some sort of white cake soaked with of course, Irish whiskey. You could probably sub in the scotch and give them out as gifts in tins or enjoy them yourself.

This is sort-of what I was thinking of. I’d be happy to get the recipe.
Belpaire, I’ll give the hot scotchies a try. I try not to drink when I’m brewing, but I can make an exception in the name of experimentation. :slight_smile:

[quote=“erockrph”]Cook with it. Scotch goes great in beef stew. [/quote] Good suggestion, I’ll google recipes with scotch. Sorry Frankandbetsy, I’m actually much more of a fine food fanatic than a hard alcohol connoisseur. The cake idea sounds interesting.

I’m near Helsinki. PM me if you plan to be in the area.

As a scot I’d be offended if you cooked with the 2 brands mentioned in your OP, in Scotland cooking Whisky is restricted to blended whiskies. The 2 mentioned are both single malt whiskies which is top of the range and should be treated with some respect.

One thing I would suggest to you especially at this time of the year when it is cold and miserable outside. Try a “Hot Toddie”

In a standard mug or cup put 1 measure of whisky, add boiled water and a tsp of honey and lemon juice or lime juice as you prefer. Stir and drink! what I like doing with this drink is sitting and breathing in the fumes in pure anticipation - wonderful!! :smiley:

1 Like

Drink 'em. You be enjoying into your 80’s so be it!

Sell them to a scotch drinker and take the money and buy some cheaper bourbon and some brewing supplies. Aged scotch probably won’t give off as much flavor as bourbon.