What to do after near blow out?

I brewed a Saison (OG 1.072) yesterday where I pitched Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) in addition to ½ tsp of Wyeast yeast nutrient. I initially had an airlock in place but after waking up to seeing a bulging bottling bucket top, I switched it over to a blow off tube before I had an explosion on my hands.

After about 24 hours of fermentation where it looks like a good amount of yeast is being pushed out (in both the tube and from what I found in the airlock this morning), I’m wondering if I’m going to have enough viable yeast left to get the Saison under 1.012 for a crisp, dry finish.

I’m assuming switch out the blow off tube for an airlock once fermentation dies down and keep an eye on my gravity to see if it ends up getting stuck above where I want it. If it’s too high, I’m guessing rack to a secondary and pitch either US-05 or a champagne yeast to finish things off.

Does this sound about right?

3711 is a fantastic yeast. There will be plenty of yeast to handle the job.

I doubt it will finish high, unless you have a lot of unfermentables. Recipe?

After a week, you could put the fermenter in a warmer area to help the yeast finish the last bit. But again, that yeast is a champ. I fermented a sasion at ~70* and had no issues with the yeast. This was a AG beer also.

Lazy Saturday Saison

Batch size = 5.5 gallons
Measured OG = 1.072
Est. FG = 1.014
SRM = 4
IBUs = 27.3
BU:GU = .37
8.1% ABV

Malt and Fermentables
2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (60 min)
1.65 lbs Wheat Malt Extract Syrup (60 min)
2 lbs Extra Light Dry Extract (5 min [late addition for bitterness])
3.3 lbs Wheat Malt Extract Syrup (5 min [late addition for bitterness])
1.5 lbs Clear Belgian Candi Sugar (5 min)

Hops
2 oz Styrian Goldings 3.8% AA (60 min)
2 oz Tettnanger 3.9% AA (10 min)

Misc
½ tsp Wyeast yeast nutrient (10 min)
½ an orange peel, zested (5 min)
¼ tsp black peppercorn, coarsely crushed (5 min)
¼ tsp coriander, coarsely crushed (5 min)

Yeast
Wyeast 3711 (French Saison)

[quote=“Nighthawk”]3711 is a fantastic yeast. There will be plenty of yeast to handle the job.

I doubt it will finish high, unless you have a lot of unfermentables. Recipe?

After a week, you could put the fermenter in a warmer area to help the yeast finish the last bit. But again, that yeast is a champ. I fermented a sasion at ~70* and had no issues with the yeast. This was a AG beer also.[/quote]

I actually undershot my Est OG of 1.075 by just a little so I’m expecting the FG to be a few points lower as well. Right now the fermenter is being stored at around 68 and I’m sure the temp will go up a few degrees as the weather warms. I’m glad to hear the yeast is so hardy and resilient.