Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

What size refrigerator do I need?

I am looking to start kegging my beer. I would like to convert a dorm size refrigerator into a kegerator.

How many Cubic feet do I need to make this happen?

Where would the best deal be for a fridge like this?

Thanks for the help

I have a Sanyo 4217 I think. Sanyo 4911 is popular. It works well to fit two kegs nicely. If I took out the molded plastic shelves on the inside of the door, I could fit three kegs in. (pin-lock, they are about .5 inches wider than ball-lock).

The big issue: make sure your fridge does not have a freezer in the top. Many dorm fridges do, and sometimes it is hard to fit in a keg because the “freezer” is too low in the fridge.

Even though this is a good question, I could not find any suggestions when I searched through the forum.

There have been a few people that have bent the freezer down to allow the kegs/tower to work. But you risk kinking and breaking the freon tube.

If you come across a fridge for ~$50 you might want to risk it. Look for something with a inside height of around 27 inches or more.

4.6 cubic feet with the door stripped down is the absolute minimum for a pair of pin lock kegs really crammed in there. They are a bit wider, but shorter than ball lock kegs. Trace the bottom of your kegs on cardboard and take it with you if you want to be sure.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com