What’s in your Arsenal?

I’m out in the brewery tonight taking a look at my supplies. I’ve got 50# bags of Marris Otter and 2 row. 20+ pounds of Golden promise plus this:

which is Melanoidin, White Wheat, Vienna, Munich, Pilsner, Victory, Carapils, Aromatic, Acidulated, Torrified Wheat, Rye, some dark malts, and Crystal 20, 60, and 120. I think I’m sitting pretty. Where are you folks at? What am I missing?

I’ve got 50lb bags of 2 row, wheat, Pilsner, and Vienna. Have about 30lbs each of Maris otter and Munich. Have 20lbs of Best Red X malt. I ALWAYS carry a couple pounds of C10-C120. Usually have 5lbs of both flaked maize and flaked rice. Then carry a pound of melanoidin malt, honey malt, and other specialty malts.
Now, I do have enough chocolate malt, English chocolate, and black patent, to brew a 10bbl batch of RIS. This was NOT done by design. I got a little tipsy once and placed the order twice. :woozy_face:. At first I thought, ‘man that shipped quick!’ Then I got another order a few days later. A quick check of my bank account provided the necessary evidence that I placed the order with two different stores. Spreading the wealth I guess! :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve been running low and have been meaning to get to the supply shop. Ive got about 30lb each of of 2-row and pilsner. Also alot of different specialty malts and probably 10lb of wheat. I also have 2 five gallon brews weighed out. I also have probably 5 lbs total of various hops. Im low on yeast but i could manage it .

HOLY … why? I mean, I’d like to have that problem… I was thinking less… is more?
YES DEAR… GRAB ANOTHER!! :joy:
Sneezles61

This tread makes me want to start order 50lb bags again.

I buy full sacks of 2 row and pilsner. Used to do the same for munich or vienna but now buy them in smaller amounts but usually have 10 or more pounds around along with c40, c60 and right now I have about 10 lbs each of flaked wheat, wheat malt and flaked maize. Ten lbs or so of acidulated malt and a few lbs of carapils, midnight wheat and carafe special II & III. probably some others I’m forgetting

Rye, corn(maize)… Basmati rice…
Sneezles61

I made it to the brewery store today apparently yeast is in high demand especially dry lager yeast. Only had 1 package of 34/70 i generally pitch 2 packs so I’ll pitch a blend of 34/70 & SA23. Picked up a bunch of specialty grains some other yeast and some cluster hops for a pre pro

How long do you feel unmilled grains can last in Rubbermaid containers stored in a garage that has various temp swings with seasonal changes?

How long is long? I made a beer in 2014 from a grains and hops my dad had in his freezer from 1982. I did succeed in making beer. edit: it was not good

1 Like

It’s been 2012 since I brewed, I’m sure they will work but not sure if the fluctuations in temps will give an off flavor.
Then again, this is roasted grains and not base malt

Grains cheap I’d toss em out for the chickens

1 Like

You don’t want your first brew in almost a decade to be a dumper. I think i’d start fresh.

1 Like

@joonze one thing that has changed significantly since you brewed last is that every brewer now has chickens.

5 Likes

What else do you do with spent grain? Actually a couple breweries around here raise hogs

Speaking of gardens. Rabbits are back

:joy: Oh Geez!! :joy:
The Brewhouse up north was feeding some Scottish Highlanders… critters…
Our deer eat anything you put out back…
Sneezles61

Now I’ll be REALLY impressed if you fit THEM into your apartment too! :joy: We’re not allowed to have chickens in our neighborhood, I just compost my spent grains. Wife’s dad had quite a brood at their house before he got cancer and had to get rid of em. Really delicious eggs.

Back on track, I have partial 1 lb bags of:

Flaked barley
Dark Munich
Cara 60L
Cara 40L
Special B
Vienna
Pilsner
Brown
Roasted barley
Melanoidin
Chocolate
Carafoam
Honey

I need to start looking at bulk sacks at some point and breaking away from kits. I’ve got the Big Brew day Star Gazer DIPA and Sip of Sunshine clone in basement that need time to brew and Off the Topper and Plinian Legacy being delivered tomorrow. Had to take advantage of May the 4th sale. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

…and hot tubs!

I bought a pool about that size for the little ones coming yo a party having. After the party i want to repurpose it for a hot tub. Any ideas how clever people?