What’s Brewin’?

Brewed Julie’s Beer yesterday, Citra Pale ale will wait till after Easter.

:beers:
Rad

I kegged my hefeweizen yesterday…ordering ingredients from our host for Big Sur double IPA.

I made a starter for 10 gals of IPA last week. I think it’s likely settled out now so I’ll need to re-invigorate it but hope to brew one day this week. I have 10 gals of Pils about ready to keg.

Just started the timer on the boil. Trying to replicate the beers i had this weekend in Rhode Island. Id call it a dry and hazy IPA. Not as dry as the dry ipa style but alot dryer than what i would expect from a NEIPA. I used my SOS grain bill and mashed low. I may have made a mistake with the water maybe. Used my NEIPA profile

You’ve enuff grist to overwhelm a inadequate water profile…
Pushed my gas rig into the garage… I’ll get after my X-beerment tomorrow so I can brew Wednesday… Not suppose to get above freezing any who…
Sneezles61

I used US-05 instead of the London ale as well

TODAY!!!
X-beerment today… 8 gallons of water, TDS showed 208…
I boiled it for 15 minutes yesterday… let it cool over night ,covered,
TDS this AM 101… I won’t know if this does anything…
Start off with a small brew…
Sneezles61

OK…I’m devil’s advocate…Mr Skeptic…

So means you have water with a TDS of 101 and a pH you can test but with regard to any other mineral good or bad you have zero clue as to the water’s make up. How does that help at all?

1 Like

I have a water report from Wards lab. But knowing that water sources do alter bit, I have a comfort level its not going to be a huge swing from our well…
The 2 components that boiling removes is Ca and alkalinity…
So, IF I can make a decent light brew using this method, I don’t have to go down the RO trail…
Time will tell… I can make good full bodied brews without much tinkering… But a Pils, there is were my water needs to be altered… And I point my finger directly at alkalinity…
Remove it, and I use less acid for correcting pH. Then, it also lets the malt come through…
Think I said it before… less is more… for a Pils style…
Sneezles61

Call me anal but i’d feel like I’m flying blind again since your water report is no longer valid. You need calcium for the malt to shine so if boiling cut TDS in half you have to figure it affected your calcium almost as dramatically…maybe that’s not an issue for you but it would be for me since my alkalinity is higher than yours but my Ca is not ridiculously high.

Ca is at 84ppm… So even cutting that in half… I’m close to the middle of the Ca amount…
It took .5 tsp acid to correct… M.O was 5.5 pH…
I filled a snit glass half way with wort… cooled 70*F and put the yeast in… stirred a few times… Its up to the rim!
Chillin"
Sneezles61

1/2 tsp of acid to get pH to 5.5 if you don’t boil?

I think I used more lactic acid than that when I used it. Still probably use 8-9cc in sparge but I use acidulated malt in the mash.

I correct BEFORE any grain gets wet… then I check a few times during, and at mash out (raising my basket out of the wort)…
Its how things work out with my brewery…
Sneezles61

I brewed my Bohemian Pilsner today as well

I just got my test back from ancestry so going on another German styles beer run.

Lager series?
Sneezles61

Yes but also some historical beers whic would be ales. I’ll need to get some German ale yeast and some wyerman beechwood smoked malt. Also the regional beers seem to use alot of tettananger hops so ill need some. Damn i was just at the brewstore

My minerals are in check… The boil did reduce RA… So before I got too involved in water tinkering… Id use close to a tablespoon… after a big rain, It’d take even more…
Its all a journey… I’m hoping to not have to go so deep into math (which I have a bit of a grasp on)… I could tell you about the next X-beerment… but I best wait too see if I can tell if this is worth the effort…
Sneezles61

You’ll have a fun time gathering up ingredients from that neck of the woods… Should be like Disney land adventure… New (old) things to read and tinker with… I’ll be awaiting what you uncover to brew.
Sneezles61

These are 2 I’ll try