What’s Brewin’?

Not much room for hot break!

Cold morning here by may standards but I’m mashed in for my bohemian Pilsner. Got a few ideas about chasing the Urquell flavor…added a little more acid to bring the mash pH down to 5.3 but I don’t think I’ll acidify the kettle lower today. I’ve felt like the finished beer was a little too acidic. I’ll also lighten up the bittering charge a little and see how that affects it. I feel like the flavor I’m looking for is probably more about the grain than hops and I’ve been going about this the wrong way. We’ll see.

1 Like

That does look dangerous. What is the tie down strap for

Gotta thin out those of sea shells and such… (Carbonate)…
I be interested to hear what your tasting notes are… See if your getting closer to a bullseye!
Sneezles61

crazy brew day…well actually the brewing part was fine…but I had to keg 10 gallons to use the yeast cake from it and even that was pretty painless.

Then I decided to clean my lines finally…ugh…i will NEVER do that again. i’ll buy new ones instead. what a PITA mess that was. The wood floor near my fridge may not look so great in the next couple days… and I was so aggravated I ended up dumping a full pound of hops on the floor returning the bag to the freezer.

10 gallons of pils fermenting at 54F though.

2 Likes

Nice to enjoy a fine pint at the end of busy day… :relieved:
Sneezles61

I’ve got a really bad brew pot, hence i need some insulation to even get to a boil. Trying my best to convince the old ball in chain to get better brew gear😉

2 Likes

You’ll need to brew her, her favorite style brew… THEN maybe she’ll loosen the purse strings!
Sneezles61

Is it electric?

Digging into your post above…the cleaning of the ol’ keg lines…always a grunt work unrewarding process. I try to do all or as many at once…I partially fill a keg with hot PBW and push it through the lines with CO2. Occasionally I’ll employ a keg line brush(really long wire with a tiny bottle brush) for resistant deposits. Finally I push some starsan through hang em vertically to dry and call it a day.

My system is pretty primitive. I’ve never put a collar on my keezer yet so no perlicks yet. Cobra taps still, lol

So…what happened?

1 Like

Yes it is. Brewferm 27L isn’t a very wise choice as it turns out. Now i’m looking at the gear in the pic.

Get more advice from the electric brewers on here but my understanding is if it’s not 220v it probably won’t boil well.

Four perlick taps on a fridge. Used the pblc cleaner and used their process. Disassembled the taps and QDs to soak in the solution then filled a bottle with a short line that threads into the tap collars…very poorly and leaks everywhere! Then you hold the bottle upside down and let the solution flow through the lines and into a bucket. I let it sit for a few minutes in the lines then rinsed it out with water followed by starsan.

It’s just a messy process refilling the stupid little bottle and the solution is slippery and slimy and caustic. Personally, I’d rather soak my taps and QDs and buy new lines.

1 Like

I have the S’mores Pastry Stout from NB in the kettle today.

When the wife said she wanted to brew on Valentine’s Day I said… “Weeeeel… If that’s really what you want to do… Sure, we can brew.”

4 Likes

That’s what i do as well, maybe if I feel like it between kegs I may pump a little pbw through, soak the perlicks, then when I am feeling ambitious and it has been a couple of years… Change the lines. I bought line cleaner once but could never tell if it was really doing anything more than the pbw and starsan flush. My only challenge is that its pretty tight in my kegerator two tap tower and I prob have not found the trick to changing the lines quicker and getting things back in position behind the faucets.

I thought these were my original lines but looking back at notes I realize they’re only 5 years old. I’ve run pbw through them a few times. Figured I’d give the cleaner a try, pull the taps off and all.

Only thing I can say is the cleaner seemed a lot more slimy than PBW. Can’t say I notice the lines look any better but I hadn’t noticed anything before and have never had a flow issue.

A little BLC will clean things up.
Sneezles61

Took the afternoon off for a Bday brewday. My buddy over in Lancaster is partial owner in Pour Man’s brewery and he sent me a “kit” of ingredients for their Goin Broke IPA. It’s stupid cold out here, so I wrapped the mash tun with a sleeping bag and put a heating pad under it and still lost 5 degrees over an hour! :joy:

Will see how close I can get to the real thing.

I busted out a 2017 DFH Vanilla Oak Aged World Wide stout and managed to find a 2020 Bourbon county a few weeks back, so I’ll prolly be asleep by 8 PM. :joy:

:beers:
Rad

3 Likes

Happy birthday. Scares me to see that cooler on the ladder though!

Thanks! It’s my Little Giant that is basically bomb proof. I have two platforms I use to set things on. I figure if the 250 lb sales guy can jump on the platform at the homeshow, it can handle my mash tun no problem. I’ve done multiple 10 gallon batches when I’m doubling up with a friend in that cooler too. :innocent:

:beers;
Rad