What next? Pilsner

1 Like

Still light American lager is the beer I drink most.

I enjoy the smaller brews… Seems the full bodied, usually, highly hopped, sticks to my ribs too much… And it could be I’m slowing down, not burning off the extra calories?
Sneezles61

One of my college buddies is a partial owner of a local brewery and they are becoming much more of a lager focused brewery, although they do pretty much all styles. Head brewer is tired of all the IPAs out there and is focusing on clean and crisp. All the one’s he’s brought me have been very good.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I actually have an ESB fermenting now so I thought it serendipious that this article showed up yesterday in my wine magazine. I drink all styles and try to keep it mixed up in my brewing schedule. I do enjoy may pilsners, pre-pro, and cream ale but the light american lager just has a funny tase that I dont enjoy. I was once told to judge a beer pour it cold and continue to taste it as it warms up. The ESB or porters and stouts do get better.

1 Like

Well there you go Brew Cat… When yer fermentation slows and yer about 4 points from about finished… Put the ESB in yer keg… lay it on its side and roll it over every couple days… Keg conditioned Ale?
Sneezles61

Well actually don’t need to do that since im fermenting under pressure so in a couple days when the Krausen drops i can start pulling off carbonated beer. Very quick turnaround

2 Likes

That fermenting gizmo has quite a few benefits goin’!
Sneezles61

What pressure do you set your spunding valve to?

Ive done 5-10 but this one i set @ 15 and daisy chained two kegs and put the spunding valve on the last keg. The kegs have to be warm because of the fermentation temp. At some pt I’ll remodel so i can be next to the serving fridge and be able to condition the kegs cold and serve as well. I think some breweries do it

1 Like

I was thinking you was using yer new fermenter gizmo… Yer actually fermenting in the kegs? Just bleeding off the CO2 into them… ?
Sneezles61

no im fermenting in the fermzilla and conditioning two kegs with the CO2 blow off.

1 Like

Thanks!

wow great frugal idea on the use of CO2. I suspect purging is a major consumer of my CO2. Between using fermentation off-gas for carbonation and using it for purging as well, your CO2 use must be drastically reduced. Do you put the offgas into the outlet line so it goes in the bottom of keg and the lighter air goes out the top (relative weight 44 vs 29)?

1 Like

Yes that is how I do it

1 Like

Also pressurize some empty kegs. When ready to pressure transfer as soon as the fermenter is out of pressure I’ll use the pre pressured empty keg to give another push. Now that keg is purged and ready to receive the next batch. Thats the theory anyway

2 Likes

You keep us informed… I’ll be curious how your systematic CO2 business works…
Sneezles61