What is the earliest you ever started a brew?

Same here. Now that I have a couple small children, I usually don’t get started 'til they’re both in bed.

I tend to be a morning brewer, most of the time I am firing the kettle up before 8 am. Though I have been known to start as early as 5:30 am. :cheers:

I usually start between 6-8am. My son wakes up around 5-6am and after he’s feed, changed, played with and down for a nap (usually by 8am) I’m already starting my mash. I prefer to brew early in the morning to have my afternoon and evening free. I have brewed late a few times. Started at 9-10 at night, but I tend to have a few beers while brewing at night and tend to finish up very late… which I can’t do any more since my son was born (see his wake up time above :frowning: ) I’ve also made a lot more mistakes while brewing late and drinking. When I brew in the morning I’m usually drinking coffee and tend to make less mistakes.

Its not unusual for me to start heating the mash water around 12:30 am and have everything finished up and ready to pitch around 4:30-5:00am. I work 3rd shift hours though, so this kind of time is normal for me.

Me too! The first time I did a parti-gyle (only my second AG ever) and I started that one at like 7AM.

7-8AM it typical for me, though I’ve started much earlier or later depending on how lazy I’m feeling.

11am 8)

I am not sure I have ever brewed in the morning, unless it is because I did not finish by midnight, as is often the case. Problem is I do have a requirement that I have at least 1 home brew while brewing, to remind me why I do it. Not so sure I would enjoy one at 5 am, unless I was still up. :cheers:

I usually like to dough in at 11pm, start sparging around 6:30am.
If no overnight mash, 6am.

Used to be 4am. Then my little ones began waking up earlier and earlier so now it’s after they go to sleep, usually by 8pm.

Your beer will taste just as good at 5am as it does at 5pm :cheers:

Although I’m an early morning brewer now, my son is doing the same thing as your children (I swear he wakes up 1/2hr earlier every week or two. He’s now up between 5-6am :frowning: ) So I may soon turn into a night time brewer.

My buddy and I usually brew at night…we’re pitching yeast by 1 or 2am. my son is not quite 2 and his son is 8. once mine is in bed I go over to his house and start getting stuff ready. once his son is in bed around 9, we go out on the patio to enjoy a beer and mosquito bites before the brew begins. I think the earliest we’ve brewed is 8pm, haha.

I work on the railroad, so I’m gone a lot…He texted me the other night asking if I had his beer theif. I looked at my phone and it was 330am.

I might try brewing my next batch when I get back from a trip in the morning, but I’m usually pretty tired at that point. However, I like the idea of having a cup of coffee and watching the sun rise while the boil is rolling nicely in the driveway!

maybe 7 or 8 am…usually depends what I have going on, brew at all times during the day and evening though.