What is Invert Sugar?

I’m looking at a recipe calling out for 8 oz. of invert sugar. What is this? Can I make this at home?

It’s sucrose, a disaccharide, that is broken down in into 2 simple sugars, monosaccharides, fructose and glucose. You can easily make it by boiling down sugar with some citric acid, a quick search should get you instructions.

I think it’s called for in recipes because yeast can more easily convert monosaccharides although I never have any problem with under attenuation just using plain table sugar.

A waste of money.

But yes, you can make it at home as detailed above. Most of the authorities on the subject of Belgian beer basically say that plain, cane sugar is not only what the monks use, but will have the same effect on the flavor of beer.

Thanks for the replies, both the simple :smiley: and more detailed. I suspected that it was merely another fermentable sugar, for which table or corn sugar could be subsituted. This recipe isn’t for a Belgian, but for a clone of Hen’s Tooth English Ale.

Yep, invert sugar is a waste of time and money. Treat it just like regular old sucrose, and you and your yeast will never be able to tell any difference at all, I promise.