What is best fermenter for 15gallon batches?

I am thinking of upgrading my BK to a Blichman 30gallon but, didn’t know what is best fermenter to use for 15gallon batches?

Best? I’d say a SS conical.

Yeah that would be nice but, wouldn’t work too well for me in my Chest freezer fermenation cooler. I was thinking more like a 20gallon plastic drum. Just didn’t know if anyone knew if one was better than the other. Something like this
http://store.homebrewheaven.com/20-gal-primary--fermenter-wlid-p70.aspx

I think you can get the Curtec drums up to 68L in the wide neck and up to 75L in the total opening from General Container.
http://generalcontainer.net/

I love them for my 10gallon batches. Didn’t think to see if they have bigger ones. Thanks.

I ferment 20 gallon batches in 6-7 carboys. A 5 gallon fermentor is heavy and awkward to carry more than 20-30 feet from your brew area to where you ferment (brew in the garage, ferment in he basement, gotta walk through the house to get there).

I’ve often considered fermenting in multiple corny kegs, 5 cornys each with four gallons for a 20 gallon batch. Those would probably fit nicely in your chest freezer and be relatively easy to lift in and out.

i can only make 10gal batches. when i make a 10 gal batch i like using multiple fermenters. that way i can try out different yeasts, usually 1 us-05, and 1 liquid strain. makes for good learning IMO

I still like to play around with the yeast in new recipes. But, I’m long past that for many of my tried and true recipes that have been brewed many times. For those batches, one fermenter works great. A furniture dollie works great to move it if you brew on the same level you ferment on.

i’m still trying to perfect tried and true recipes :oops:

[quote=“Brewbeer22”]I ferment 20 gallon batches in 6-7 carboys. A 5 gallon fermentor is heavy and awkward to carry more than 20-30 feet from your brew area to where you ferment (brew in the garage, ferment in he basement, gotta walk through the house to get there).

I’ve often considered fermenting in multiple corny kegs, 5 cornys each with four gallons for a 20 gallon batch. Those would probably fit nicely in your chest freezer and be relatively easy to lift in and out.[/quote]
+1, I ferment in 5 gallon cornies and 7.5 gal “slim” 1/4 kegs for the same reasons. I can carry 2 5 gallon cornies a lot easier than one 10 gallon. Now I am thinking about how to get the brewery down into the basement. Other options are to siphon or pump the wort into the basement.
:cheers:

[quote=“vanwolfhausen”]Yeah that would be nice but, wouldn’t work too well for me in my Chest freezer fermenation cooler. I was thinking more like a 20gallon plastic drum. Just didn’t know if anyone knew if one was better than the other. Something like this
http://store.homebrewheaven.com/20-gal-primary--fermenter-wlid-p70.aspx
[/quote]I think those 20 gallon fermenters look flimsy. I would stick with two of the Curtec 55L fermenters that you already have (IIRC). Then you have plenty of headspace and they are reasonably easy to transport.

I have four of the Curtec 55L fermenters and I now have to get help from my son to carry them through the house and into the basement. I have had too many close calls where I could not catch my breath after carrying two down by myself in a 2 minute span.