What did you cook today?

I’ve always like brussel sprouts but probably because my grandfather grew them so I had them fresh. We like roasting them in the oven with root veggies. Sauteed with bacon they’re fantastic. My grandmother used to cook them like that but my wife won’t eat bacon so I don’t do that very often.

2 Likes

Love me some Brussels sprouts! :yum:

1 Like

That was me. My dad didn’t like them either so he poured vinegar on them. I followed his lead and for a long time it was the only way I ate them. Now when cooked properly and not from frozen think they are great

1 Like

Give an American male hot sauce, vinegar or ketchup and he’ll eat anything.

I think it was actually Bill Cosby that had a bit about that back in the 60s on one of his records. Found a dead bird, two slices of bread and some ketchup… voila dead bird sandwich.

I do not recall ever eating them units…
Sneezles61

There’s a Farside cartoon with vultures sitting around a rotting carcass. It’s captioned,”Oooooweee! Good thing we got ketchup!”

1 Like

its so diificult to decide what i cook today its still pending

Kale, potato and sausage soup. I used chicken chorizo this time and cut up 4 Kumato tomatoes in it a few minutes before serving. I was low on kale today. Generally use more in it.

Decided to add hominy, or moté as my Ecuadorian wife calls it.

3 Likes

That is one of my regular soups except I use diced tomatoes, beans, carrots, celery and copious amounts of onion and garlic.

Liquid Smoke!! Amazing stuff. If you haven’t used it before get yourself some.

1 Like

I’ve never used liquid smoke. I use smoked salt in a few recipes. Gives a nice smoky flavor. For some reason I’ve always had a negative perception of liquid smoke but I’ll check it out. Did some product named that in the past have negative side effects or something?

Liquid smoke is basically soy sauce with captured carbon flavor. My wife is very strict health wise and it’s passed her rigorous standards. It goes really well in chili and the like. It does wonders for marinades.

1 Like

I’ll definitely check it out. thanks!

Ah I know. I read way back about liquid smoke having PAHs and I’ve avoided it ever since. I used to over react to stuff like that. It’s obviously a minimal amount and no worse than smoked or grilled food.

That is probably correct from a quick google search. I loved grilled salmon and for some reason that has 80 times the PAHs as grilled trout. Man a grilled porkchop is double that of a salmon.

1 Like

Sprouts again! This time tossed with chopped bacon :bacon:

2 Likes

PAH…? Perceived Aftermath Heartburn?..
Been a while since I’ve had trout… fresh from the stream…
Sneezles61

I used to love those cant have them know they lay me out

What lays you out Brussel Sprouts or Trout? Either way your gut biome changes as you age and you might need to make a new starter..

Yep, fecal transplants are mainstream now, fairly common for past 6 years or so for recalcitrant C Diff Colitis.

Probiotics are also helpful for public at large. We take them here at Casa Paxson.

Sprouts. Im on a regimen of probiotics and enzymes. Im getting my gut balance back i think. The gastro doc daid my gut was out of balance because i took alot of antibiotics for tic bites.

2 Likes