What did you cook today?

I smoked a meat loaf for the first time on Father’s Day. Nothing real fancy this time but I will add some different veggies and/or cheese to it next time. It turned out absolutely delicious and was still eating well as of last evening.

6 Likes

A nice meat loaf sand which is very close to the top of my food list… but… Smoked? Really getting curious…
I see a few more black cherry trees standing dead… Smoke wood…
Sneezles61

1 Like

I made a sandwich on toast last evening and layered some cheese in between the slices, out of this world! You will fall in love with a smoked meat loaf for sure. I placed it on a “bed” of bacon to keep the bottom from falling through the wire rack. Used Hickory pellets but some fruit wood would be tasty as well.

1 Like

It’s on the week end schedule now!!! Thank you!!
Sneezles61

You bet! Can’t wait to see/hear how it was. I’m sure you have your own recipe as I do but I used the Traeger Not Your Mother’s meatloaf recipe for this one.

1 Like

I have never smoked a meatloaf but it sure sounds good. I used to put a ball of cheese in the center of the ones I did in the oven though.

Hmmm never thought if 1) smoking a meatloaf or 2) adding cheese to the middle. Good ideas!

Cheese is like beer. It goes with everything!

I finished off the leftover meatloaf yesterday and I swear it had gotten better every day. That’s a winner for sure and will be doing again very soon. I’m gonna take @hd4mark advice and add the cheese to it, maybe some diced jalapeno in it to compliment those onions and give it some bite.

1 Like

You cook your brisket with the fat side up?

I’ve tried it both ways on the Traeger now and I haven’t noticed a difference in flavor or juiciness. I always cooked fat side down on my Akorn smoker because of more direct heat but the Traeger has a heat deflector tray and a fan that circulates the smoke around the whole cooking chamber.

1 Like

Meatloaf is my all-time favorite 1/3 beef, 1/3 pork, 1/3 veal is my favorite. The veal has a higher gelatin ratio so it loafs better imo. You can just add gelatin in you want… all you cold crashers have it on hand. Meatloaf is always better the next day I think.

I use my grandma’s meatloaf recipe. Some ground meat, couple of eggs, and oatmeal. Smoosh it together wit your hands, toss it in a pan, bake and good to go. I agree with you @squeegeethree on the next day deal. I love a cold meatloaf sandwich with ketchup and butter.

I did grill some pork steak and a small filet mignon with some garlic/olive oil potatoes. Had tossed salad and watermelon to go with. A nice home brewed ale on the screened in porch during a rain shower provided the perfect backup. Soooo fuuuullll…

Z

Smoked meatloaf… With a big cheesy middle… Most excellent eats while imbibing homebrew
Sneezles61

3 Likes

I don’t see anything on there @sneezles61 :thinking:

2 Likes

How about now?
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Dang I’m hungry! I was hoping it wasn’t all smoke and mirrors!

1 Like

@sneezles61… It looks like the mother of all portobello mushrooms!

3 Likes

It was… MEAT!! oh dear it was so good… even my weed wacker wife (WWW) said it was…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Yesterday for breakfast I made Monte Cristo sandwiches for breakfast. My simple recipe is: Make two slices of French toast the way you normally would in the frying pan. When they are done on one side flip and put on top of one sliced deli ham and cheese of your choice (American is good enough for me) put the other on top and heat only long enough to melt the cheese. Top with butter and/or real maple syrup.

Not exactly healthy but real easy and very tasty. Something we have once in a while as a treat.

4 Likes