What can I make with this? UPDATED with recipes. Advice?

So I’ve got some leftover grains from a recent brew sessions and I’d like to use them up. This is what I have:
4 oz. Special B
4 oz English medium crystal
12 oz English Chocolate
4 oz. Golden Naked Oats

Ideally, I’d like to make something both hoppy and malty, maybe a winter warmer, DIPA or something for the cooler months. Maybe use 15# of Golden Promise or Maris Otter to hit a gravity of 1.080 or so.

But here’s the issue: I’m not sure about hops, yeast, or what flavor profile these malts might produce. When I plug it into BeerToolsPro, I get about 25 SRM. I’m thinking maybe 40-50 IBUs at 60 mins, then a good bit of EKG or something for aroma/flavor. Not sure about the yeast, but I’m very familiar with 1056. And since I’ve got to visit the LHBS to get he base malt, I can always get more specialty malts.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How about an ESB?

If you threw some black malt or Roast into the mix, a winter porter is always an idea.

With either the porter or the ESB idea from above, I am always prone to go for either an Eat Kent or Fuggle variety. But I am very traditional and not too adventurous.

If you want something dark / strong / and super hopy what about a CDA? I’m not an expert on this style, so someone else will have to chime in on that, but just an idea.

I see your options as:

-ESB (as noted above)

-American Brown (catch-all style that you hop up to your heart’s content)

-grab some de-bittered black malt and make a stout (American, if you want to hop it up as you say). If you do this, consider toasting the oats in your oven, storing in a sealed container for two weeks to de-bitter…however, if your malts are already crushed, don’t do this, as the malts will start to denature after this much time)

-IBA - The trick with IBA’s (aka CDA’s) is to get color and the suggestion of roast, but not astringent puckering bitterness from the dark malts, which is a risk with the chocolate UNLESS you add it at sparge, a process which some people swear by for their IBA’s.

-winter warmer is always an option with these grains as well. If I had these lying around, I would maybe add some molasses or REALLY wild funky honey (such as meadowfoam…if you can find this, goddamn it, use it), use a mid-ester belgian strain, ferment in the high-60’s, ramp up to low 70’s with a monster starter. However, that does not satisfy your hop craving, as you want the malts/fermentables to shine more so in this style with some residual sweetness. Hops are playing rhythm guitar, not lead, with a warmer. Consider adding the honey/adjunct fermentable after primary fermentation.

If you aren’t sure about the flavor profile, taste your malts!

[quote=“Pietro”]I see your options as:

-ESB (as noted above)

-American Brown (catch-all style that you hop up to your heart’s content)

-grab some de-bittered black malt and make a stout (American, if you want to hop it up as you say). If you do this, consider toasting the oats in your oven, storing in a sealed container for two weeks to de-bitter…however, if your malts are already crushed, don’t do this, as the malts will start to denature after this much time)

-IBA - The trick with IBA’s (aka CDA’s) is to get color and the suggestion of roast, but not astringent puckering bitterness from the dark malts, which is a risk with the chocolate UNLESS you add it at sparge, a process which some people swear by for their IBA’s.

-winter warmer is always an option with these grains as well. If I had these lying around, I would maybe add some molasses or REALLY wild funky honey (such as meadowfoam…if you can find this, goddamn it, use it), use a mid-ester belgian strain, ferment in the high-60’s, ramp up to low 70’s with a monster starter. However, that does not satisfy your hop craving, as you want the malts/fermentables to shine more so in this style with some residual sweetness. Hops are playing rhythm guitar, not lead, with a warmer. Consider adding the honey/adjunct fermentable after primary fermentation.

If you aren’t sure about the flavor profile, taste your malts![/quote]

Good suggestions, all. I think this would make a good ESB, but I’ve got one on tap and I want something a little bigger for the coming cold months.

What’s throwing me off about aiming for a style with these grains is that there’s just too much chocolate to make anything other than a stout or porter. I think maybe I should dial that chocolate back and balance it with the other crystal malts. I was also thinking of just skipping the chocolate (though i hate to waste good chocolate malt) and making a malty DIPA with the crystal. I’ve got enough time to squeeze in one other brew session within the next few weeks before my workload increases substantially.

I like the idea of a stout, but I’ve already got an American stout in the keg that I haven’t tapped yet.

What about dialing the chocolate back to .25 or or .5 # and making a winter warmer/cold-weather-something-or-other with american yeast? Or maybe WLP 007 (I’ll have some harvested within the next couple of days)?

I really appreciate the help so far.

That would totally work. I just have brewed with the monks in awhile, so its on my mind…

[quote=“Pietro”][quote=“Chinaski1217”]
What about dialing the chocolate back to .25 or or .5 # and making a winter warmer/cold-weather-something-or-other with american yeast? Or maybe WLP 007 (I’ll have some harvested within the next couple of days)?

[/quote]

That would totally work. I just have brewed with the monks in awhile, so its on my mind…[/quote]

Ok, so maybe a solid bittering charge, then a couple ounces of EKG near the end of boil? I appreciate your suggestion of a belgian yeast, but I haven’t been able to get into those at all. Not my thing.

Also, any idea what a “winter porter” is?

OK, here’s one possible recipe for a DIPA, but I’m not sure about hops for this beer. I’ve never used Summit, but think something a little less fruity and citrusy might work with this.

Any suggestions on hops?

Double IPA-maybe
14-C Imperial IPA

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 80.3%
Calories: 255.27 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.077 (1.075 - 1.090)
|=========#======================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.015 (1.010 - 1.020)
|================#===============|
Color: 16.05 (8.0 - 15.0)
|==========================#=====|
Alcohol: 8.14% (7.5% - 10.0%)
|============#===================|
Bitterness: 108.2 (60.0 - 120.0)
|====================#===========|

Ingredients:
14.75 lb (82.8%) 14.75 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt - added during mash
1.25 lb (7.0%) 1.25 lb Munich 10L Malt - added during mash
4.0 oz (1.4%) 4.0 oz Medium Crystal Malt - added during mash
4.0 oz (1.4%) 4.0 oz Golden Naked Oats - added during mash
2 oz (0.7%) 2 oz Special B - Caramel malt - added during mash
3.0 oz (1.1%) 3.0 oz English Chocolate Malt - added during mash
1 lb (5.6%) 1 lb Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 15 m
2 oz (57.1%) 2 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.5 oz (14.3%) .5 oz Chinook (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 30 m
1 oz (28.6%) 1 oz Summit™ (17.0%) - added during boil

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22

I think I may work up a winter warmer recipe too, if you wouldn’t mind perusing it.

Here’s a “winter warmer” recipe. What do you think? Might be a bit busy with all the malts…

Winter Warmer?
19-A Old Ale

Size: 6 gal
Efficiency: 72.0%
Attenuation: 76.6%
Calories: 235.59 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.071 (1.060 - 1.090)
|=============#==================|
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.015 - 1.022)
|===========#====================|
Color: 21.49 (10.0 - 22.0)
|=======================#========|
Alcohol: 7.13% (6.0% - 9.0%)
|==============#=================|
Bitterness: 57.4 (30.0 - 60.0)
|======================#=========|

Ingredients:
14 lb (84.8%) 14 lb Golden Promise Pale - added during mash
1.25 lb (7.6%) 1.25 lb Munich 10L Malt - added during mash
4.0 oz (1.5%) 4.0 oz Medium Crystal Malt - added during mash
4.0 oz (1.5%) 4.0 oz Golden Naked Oats - added during mash
4 oz (1.5%) 4 oz Special B - Caramel malt - added during mash
8 oz (3.0%) 8 oz English Chocolate Malt - added during mash
1 oz (33.3%) 1 oz Columbus (15.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
1 oz (33.3%) 1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1 oz (33.3%) 1 oz East Kent Goldings (5.0%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
2.0 L 2.0 L White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.22

DIPA: Might be a bit light on hops. Need a lot of citrus and pine to stand up to the malt bill (cascade, columbus, centennial), maybe try a healthy dose of something floral or unique (Nelson Sauvin, Galaxy) @ flameout/FWH/dry-hopping additions. I would almost use your EKGs to bitter (use more if you need to, Randy Mosher swears by more hops, less AA%), and saving the American hops for late additions.

Also, not sure about using oats. It can give it a slick/oily mouthfeel that might not work with the DIPA.

WW: looks good, its a wide style. I would suggest adding some nuanced simple (ish) sugar, such as demarara, molasses, or maple syrup (real) to give it some complexity. Any spices/adjuncts for the winter warmer? Once fermentation has finished, think about adding vanilla, cinnamon, ginger to taste, or adding smaller amounts @ flameout/5min.

Will you be shipping all responders a bottle for the holidays? :wink: