What are you drinking now

Hello, I am waiting on a Bavarian Hefeweizen I bottled 1.5 weeks ago. Gonna crack one of those open next week. I also have a Czech Pilsner in my temp-controlled fridge lagering at 44F for the next 3 weeks. Can’t wait to try that. Just returned from a retirement trip from Germany and the Czech Republic, which inspired me to brew these. On a bus ride from Germany to Prague, we passed by the city of Pilsn where Pilsner Urquell is located. As for the Hefe I am not a big fan of wheat beers, but my son asked me to make one. Neither of these is my main reason for replying, I have a question and hope to learn something from you regarding Brewing-in-a -Basket, which I am trying to transition to. I’ve historically done extract and all grain using an igloo cooler for a mash tun, and a Budweiser keggle as my brewpot. So here is my question. What size basket did you use for your keggle, width and height and hole size in microns? I believe it is important for the basket to be as large as possible, correct? Did you get yours from Utah Diesel? I know about using a bag, and that there are kettle/basket combos out there but I am dead-set on using my beer keggle and a basket. Anything you can share would be of interest to me. At this point my keggle has a 12 inch hole cut into the top of it, and I’m thinking of either making that larger or cutting off the entire top of the keg. I am going to modify my current dip tube so that the feet on the basket are as short as necessary (right now the dip tube would require the basket to be 3" off the keggle bottom). I want to be able to do 5 gallon brews and a 10 gallon brew occasionally. What height should the basket be? My temperature probe is currently 2.5 inch stem so that has to be removed also, and I might replace that with a stubby if I can find one with a short enough stem. Thanks in advance I hope you can give me some feedback. If pics would help you understand my questions I can take some. Thanks, Mike

I used a Budweiser keg. I cut the whole top off, save ing the handles… Follow the weld line at the top… Utah biodiesel is where I got my basket… It’s about the size of a 5 gallon bucket… 400 mesh I remember.
Silver solder a 1/2" nipple close as possible to the bottom.
There is more info to pass along… Perhaps start another post in beer gear section and we can elaborate more. Sneezles61

1 Like

Finished up brewing my wee heavy and now enjoying this. 2018 world beer cup gold medalist. Pretty sure I’m brewing a Kolsch next!

1 Like

You have some great back ground vista’s!! Thank you! Sneezles61

Went to Imprint over the weekend and tried some fantastic beers. Small little place doing some big things with their fruited sours. Also tried 2 hard coffees on nitro that were amazing! 2 hour trip but worth every penny.

What are those breakfast juices

1 Like

Yea the one on the right looks like Jugo de Mora, blackberry juice that we get in Ecuador. Not a big fan of this style beers but they’re very popular around here right now too.

Pretty much. Of the 18 beers we tried there only 2 (IPA’s) tasted like beer!

That is a blackberry sour and one of my faves from the day. They’re known for their Schmoojee line of beers. The front left is the banana colada schmoojee and that was great, too.

Havin a beah

3 Likes

Have the old standby ordinary bitter on the left tap, and a Treehouse Julius NEIPA clone on the right tap. Both getting low, so I just ordered the ingredients from our host to brew a Scottish Wee Heavy. Of course I have all kinds of ingredients on hand but none that match the recipe I want to brew. But that’s ok too.
Never brewed the Scottish before. Fell down another unrelated rabbit hole recently so it is time i got back to brewing before the snow comes in.

Was looking at recipes for Scottish ales yesterday. Surprised at some of the large gristbills on those, plus long lagering times.

I found that yes the higher abv recipes had some hefty grain bills, but I am in a mode of lower session type beers so I can actually drink a few without suffering the next day. The sept issue of Brew Your Own had a bunch of recipes.

The 70/ Heavy I chose has a pretty light grainbill…<8lb total. It’s pretty low abv so I may stiffen it up just a tad with a little more base.

Looks like a good recipe. May try it. Thanks :blush:

Just got home from a week in Belgium for work. Only got to eat at hotel every night cause I was working a trade show and didn’t have a car, but they had a great beer selection. Had the following over the course of the week.

Pauwel Kwak by Brouwerij Bosteels

This was a fun drinking vessel, the name of the beer apparently comes from the sound it makes once you pop down into the bell

Belle-Vue Kriek
Cornet by Brouwerij De Hoorn
Bolleke De Koninck
Leffe Royale Cascase IPA
Triple D’Anvers
La Trappe Quadrupel (my favorite of the week)
Tripel Karmeliet by Brouwerij Bosteels
Jupiler by Brasserie Piedboueuf

My distributor who was working the show with me gave me a box package of Westmalle which has a double and a tripel with glasses and a box package of Duvel which has the standard Duvel and the Tripel hop Citra version, also complete with glass. Thankfully all of them survived the trip home in my suitcase to be enjoyed at some point in the near future.

Was a great Untappd checkin week for uniques! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beers:
Rad

8 Likes

jealous

Me too. Westmalle tripel wow.

Wow very impressed . Started with the Pineapple

1 Like

Just got home from a trip to Thailand. Lots of Singha and Tiger beers.

Only tried two craft beers that I kept seeing in hotels and nicer restaurants, a plae ale and an IPA. Forgot to take a picture of the cans and can’t recall the brewery but they were very unimpressive. Both tasted the same. Muddled low hop presence.

Cherry Brandy Oatmeal Stout

1 Like