Weldless ball valve problems

Just opened up a Christmas present of a new 10gal MegaPot with weldless ball valve kit, but I can’t get it to install correctly. As you can see in the picture below, the o-rings won’t get close enough to make a good seal. In the 3rd picture, you can see the coupler doesn’t go any further up the threaded middle piece. Because of that, (picture 2) you can see that the o-rings leave a gap that prevents a good seal from forming. Any thoughts?

It looks like they sent the wrong nipple. I should be a close nipple with no space between the threaded ends. Like this:

Yeah, that’s what I figured…

Put both the lock nut AND the washer & coupling on the same side of the nipple. That will make it tight enough. So, from the inside it will be: coupling,washer, o-ring, kettle wall, o-ring, locknut, nipple space, valve.

or maybe a cooler valve kit was ordered by mistake . . .

The instructions included with the kit are for the kettle kit… But maybe they put the wrong kit in the bag

[quote=“Glug Master”]It looks like they sent the wrong nipple. I should be a close nipple with no space between the threaded ends. Like this:

[/quote]

+1 I’d also recommend taping the threads. Good seal and easier to take apart.

For what its worth, I don’t use the o-ring on the washer side. That way, it forces the pot to flatten out a little making a better seal. No leaks in the last 7 years.