Weird krausen (pic)

Jamil’s evil twin with almost 3 oz of whole leaf hops. pitched onto a washed 1056 yeast cake, about 28 hours ago. Does the krausen looks really strange to anyone else? It’s like a layer of braun hefe on top of normal air bubbles…

I ask–and it seems strange–because it looks NOTHING like the krausen that formed for the previous beer (the cake of which was used for this one). That krausen was huge and consistent in color (an opaque, tan color), consuming most of the headspace in my 6.5 gal carboy.

EDIT: I should add that the smell seems hoppily delicious, and that there are noticeable hop leaves on top of the krausen. The yellow pellets in the picture are (probably) also whole hop debris.

[attachment=0]20120423_192534.jpg[/attachment]

Definitely interesting. I can offer no help, but I’m intrigued. Does the brown stuff go all the way across the top? The wifey says if it were dessert she’d eat it!
:cheers:

I appears that the whole leaf hops are floating on the top of the carboy. I see this when ever I dont strain leaf hops out of the wort.

+1 I am a guy who dumps everything from the kettle into the fermenter and all of my fermentations look like this and they all taste wonderful at the end too. :slight_smile: rdwhahb

+1 I am a guy who dumps everything from the kettle into the fermenter and all of my fermentations look like this and they all taste wonderful at the end too. :slight_smile: rdwhahb[/quote]

Thanks. I don’t normally have “clear bubble” krausen.