Water for my bock

This latest version of my Maibock had the chloride/sulfate at about 2:1 it seems improved from last time which was about 1:1. The doppelbock I’m fermenting now is 4:1. What do you people do. I’m only now fooling around with salt additions. My water is fine without

1.5 to 2:1 is about where I come out for a malty brew.

1 Like

4:1 chloride ratio seems awful high. I assume you were in range of correct pH? It will be interesting how this turns out.

I think 2:1 is about as high as I’ve gone.

It’s actually 3.5:1. I read an article somewhere that you could go as much as 4:1. Gonna find out. PH calcs 5.4

1 Like

I know they really push the chloride in the NEIPA’s…2.5 to 3.5 ppm to 1…

edit (In this case they are looking for fuller (soft) mouthfeel that calcium chloride (supposedly) provides with less perceived bitterness in the hazy, juicy NEIPAs.)

In the fermenter?
Sneelzes61

My latest bock is 2.6:1 came out very well. I’ll keep it under 3:1 going forward

@loopie_beer sorry i never posted back but the higher ratio didn’t make an undrinkable beer but not memorable either. I

1 Like

Thanks for following up. I think water, to an extent, is more forgiving than we think. And while I say that I think it’s also one factor that can set a beer apart.

1 Like