Washing gear back in the day

Topics that don’t need a category, or don’t fit into any other existing category.

I’m not overly impressed with powdered cleansers like Easyclean, especially at $18 for #5. What did you guys use before these powders were so commonplace? I recall using dishsoap and rinsing well.

When I started we would wipe with hot water. On brew day bleach solution and rinse.

1 Like

Very weak bleach solution… lotsa rinsing… I think some times way back then, thats why some of my brews didn’t bottle condition, just enough bleach to kill yeast! Sneezles61

1 Like

Dish soap and hot water to clean glass carboys then bleach and rinse to sanitize. B-brite after that, then PBW for other than glass. I still use Dawn and a carboy brush on them to clean. One step works well on everything to clean and I used it for years to sanitize without any problems. Star san now though, even if it does make vinyl tubing feel like it melted a little.

It gets really gross if you leave tubing in there too long :grinning:

I wonder what is happening to the tubing so I just sent and email to support at Five Star and asked about it. I’ll post a thread when/if they reply.

Thanks guys! I think I’m going to go back to Dawn where I can. I use Starsan now for santizing but recall using some sort of horrid smelly iodine type of product back in the early 90’s.

I think the iodine stuff was called ioda4.

1 Like

Same here, a lot of my old t-shirts have a white stripe waist high from leaning against a counter with bleach on it.

1 Like