Warrior/Liberty Coffee Oatmeal Stout?

Making a 6.2% ABV coffee oatmeal stout. Considered changing my hop schedule from Mt Hood/Liberty to Warrior/Liberty for 47 IBU’s.

1 oz Warrior (16%) @ 60 mins
1 oz Liberty (4.9%) @ 20 mins

Any reason why this wouldn’t work well?

Why would you want to use such an aggresive bittering hop? Why not something clean like magnum if you just want the alpha.

Aren’t Warrior just a high-alpha derivative of Saaz, just like Magnum are a higher alpha derivative of Hallertauer?

I like the hops, I would just use less of them (.5oz?), or maybe even eliminate the 20 minute addition. All you need in this recipe is some bittering.

I don’t know if you’d notice the difference between warrior and magnum in a stout with all the dark grains in there throwing their flavor in…but still…I’d go with the magnum…just to be safe.

I have a freezer full of hops and wanted to use what I had since some are from 2012. I had bought several packages of Warrior with IPA’s in mind. But it seemed to make sense to me to reduce my hops usage from 4 oz of Mt Hood/Liberty to 1 oz of Warrior and 1 oz of Liberty.

I had considered only using a bittering addition. Hmmm… I’d suppose it’s likely a waste of hops to use a small flavoring addition in something so roasty. I think I’ll omit it.

The descriptions that I’ve read about warrior don’t call it real aggresive.

I’ve bought a lb of Warrior last year and have used it in a variety of beers - I don’t find it to be over the top. The main thing with using such high alpha hops is being very precise with your measurements. It’s easy to overbitter.

That said, I do love Mt. Hood, and you can’t go wrong with them.

The descriptions that I’ve read about warrior don’t call it real aggresive.[/quote]

From nb:
Typical alpha: 14.0-16.0%. Super-high alpha hop with low cohumulone. Aggressive bittering hop, a with a mild citrus-and-spice character

Low cohumulone would indicate that it’s not a harsh, aggressive hop. I think they used the descriptor aggressive to indicate its high alpha acid content, not the character of its bitterness.

The descriptions that I’ve read about warrior don’t call it real aggresive.[/quote]

From nb:
Typical alpha: 14.0-16.0%. Super-high alpha hop with low cohumulone. Aggressive bittering hop, a with a mild citrus-and-spice character[/quote]

From Morebeer:
“It has a very smooth bitterness for the amount of alpha acid.”

warrior is very similar to magnum. they both have right around 25% cohumulone.

I’d definitely use it in stouts. An ounce might be over the top though… What’s the anticipated IBU from 1oz at 60?

id also drop or decrease the liberty. you don’t want a lot of hop flavor in a coffee stout

60 mins of 1 oz of warrior (16%) gives 38 IBU’s. 30 mins of 1.5 oz of Liberty (4.9%) gives 14 IBU’s. 52 IBU’s I wouldn’t think would be too much. I’d mostly just be concerned with how it melds with the coffee flavors, which is a reason I moved it out to 30 mins instead, though I’m not certain what a 30 min addition does as far as bittering/flavoring.

[quote=“rodwha”]Making a 6.2% ABV coffee oatmeal stout. Considered changing my hop schedule from Mt Hood/Liberty to Warrior/Liberty for 47 IBU’s.

1 oz Warrior (16%) @ 60 mins
1 oz Liberty (4.9%) @ 20 mins

Any reason why this wouldn’t work well?[/quote]

I’ve used Warrior hops in a strong IBA,and it worked quite well in that.But it took a good 2 months for the beer to mellow enough to drink,and you’re going for a very different kind of beer.I don’t know that I’d recommend that variety of hop for a stout,at least not at that bittering level.If you’re using it in conjunction with another hop variety,I’d say let the Warrior hops take a smaller role (like 40% of the hop bill or less) and see what happens.You never know-you might end up with a really good beer.

My problem is I don’t have anything to use any remainder in. So it’s all or nothing, and I liked that I could get into the IBU field I was looking for (45-50) with a smaller amount vs using several ounces of Mt Hood and Liberty.

The description claims it’s a mellow bittering despite the high AA’s. I bought it for IPA’s and such…

[quote=“rodwha”]
The description claims it’s a mellow bittering despite the high AA’s. I bought it for IPA’s and such…[/quote]

It is. It’s a fairly smooth bittering hop. but personally i’d shoot for around 35IBU in a coffee stout. Remember, dark grains add some bitterness, and so can the coffee.

I really liked BJ’s Tatonka stout, and it has 50 IBU’s. It’s what made me want to make a coffee-like stout. I recently had it again and felt they reduced the coffee quite a bit.

Readjusted it again and will use 2.3 oz @ 60 mins and 2.1 oz @ 30 mins for 45 IBU’s. I’m using the remainder of the Liberty (4.9%) in a 5.2% 2.5 gal jalapeño cream ale.