Warped Glass Carboy

Today I noticed the slanted top of one of my 6.5 gallon glass carboys is significantly dented, as if it is sagging downwards toward the beer.

The altered shape is noticeable enough that I doubt I would have missed it the last time I sanitized the carboy and brewed and poured the beer which is currently in the carboy three weeks ago, but it is possible.

I have no idea how glass can be reshaped without very high temperatures. Has anyone else ever experienced warped carboy glass before? Can the pressures and or temperatures of brewing over weeks somehow contribute to this? Seems doubtful, but I am really very lost for a rationale here and am wondering if anyone out there has any insight whatsoever. Very perplexed :?

There’s no way you melted it from fermentation unless of coarse you were making lava beer

Glass is actually a liquid and can dis-form. Although this normally takes place after many many many years… Probably purchased it that way.

Unlikely that it would EVER disform from use. Pretty sure it wa made that way…I have two just like that, one an old CRISA Mexican 5gal, and a newer Italian one (fractionally lager than 5gal).

So, no worries…it’s not a result of anything you did and you are very unlikely to do anything to cause it (or to make it worse).

RDWHAHB

Alright I am convinced. I guess I somehow never noticed. Thanks

It was years before I ever noticed that my old Mexican CRISA carboy listed to starboard. :mrgreen:

It was years before I ever noticed that my old Mexican CRISA carboy listed to starboard. :mrgreen: [/quote]

Turn the carboy 45° either to the right or to the left and it will “straighten” it’s self out. :lol: