Waldo as is

I took advantage of NB’s sale last week and got a few kits. Planning on Waldo Lake on Sunday. I want to take the purist approach and brew the kit as is. I was just wondering about the hop presence and overall taste. I want enough hops but don’t want to scare away any innocent bystanders. Naturally there is nothing but cudo’s about this great beer. Is there any reason to mod the recipe or go for it as is?
Thanks, Mike

i would try it as is. many people tweaked exellent recipies to only get average beer.

Ya know, if I thought the recipe could be improved, I wouldn’t have written it the way it is now…

However, the recipe was made for just the situation you describe. I developed it for a friend (did you read the story?) who doesn’t like extremely bitter beers. But my wife and I, along with the rest of the people at the event, definitely don’t like sweet beers. My goal was to split that line and make it something we all like. And I’ve got to tell you, I had given up on ambers til I came up with that recipe. To this day, it’s the only amber ale I like and will drink. Not to mention, how would you know what to change unless you brewed it as-is first?

I’m a hop-pu$$y so when I brewed it last May, I cut the batch in two 2.5 gallon batches. I mashed/brewed one half exactly according to directions. Then I mashed/brewed the other half changing only the hop additions so it came in at 31 IBU.

Both batches fermented side by side for the same amount of time and I piched the yeast at the same time (well within a minute of each other) too.

Both were good, very good. Denny’s “original” batch was mo-very-good. :wink:

:cheers:

[quote=“Denny”]Ya know, if I thought the recipe could be improved, I wouldn’t have written it the way it is now…

However, the recipe was made for just the situation you describe. I developed it for a friend (did you read the story?) who doesn’t like extremely bitter beers. But my wife and I, along with the rest of the people at the event, definitely don’t like sweet beers. My goal was to split that line and make it something we all like. And I’ve got to tell you, I had given up on ambers til I came up with that recipe. To this day, it’s the only amber ale I like and will drink. Not to mention, how would you know what to change unless you brewed it as-is first?[/quote]

Denny, I did read the story :smiley: I definitely tried to write my question in a way that wouldn’t sound arrogant considering I’m just a grasshopper. The thing is, I’m not an amber fan but couldn’t help getting this kit since it sounds so great and the comments are huge. And I also agree that w/o a baseline, it makes no sense to make any mods. I also read along the way it’s anything but Fat Tire and that, to me is a huge PLUS.

Sorry, hope I didn’t sound arrogant, either! It sounds like you think about ambers the same way I do, so I think you’ll like this one. Enjoy!

+1 to leaving it as is. It really is a great beer. I introduced some friends too homebrewing, and we brewed that recipe together. we loved it! and ever since, they have been obsessing over the hobby! Thanks for the great recipes Denny! can’t thank you enough for your contribution to the hobby

:cheers: Absolutely!

i made this intending on making it as is. but forgot the FWH and so just added the hops along with the bittering hops and then added some ahtanum at 20. made a damn fine ipa. next time i will try to get it right. i have had it the way its supposed to be made and i really liked it.