Vienna Based "German Barleywine"

Thoughts on this? I thought about aging for 2 months in secondary then oaking half with French medium toast. I also planned to pull off a gallon of wort to boil down then return to the kettle… http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/doppelsticke-13

Looks promising.
But I would never age a barleywine for only 2 months. It’ll probably taste fine at that point, but if you’ve done everything correctly, it will taste much, much better with 8-12 months of aging on it (or more). Be sure to lay at least some of it aside to sample 12 months down the line.

It’s one of the reasons that I do three batches of barleywine/burton/old ale each year…just to always have some on hand that’s been properly aged.
With brews like this, patience is a virtue well rewarded.

Good idea. Thanks. I would like to have it ready for christmas 2014. I’m going to bottle half and oak the other half for 2 months additional.

Oak chips give up their essence within a week or so, cubes six weeks. Any longer isn’t doing anything.

Also, I don’t know that you’d want to boil down a portion and return, typically barleywines don’t tend to finish real dry anyway and you’ve got some crystal in the recipe. I wouldn’t want it to become cloyingly sweet as a result. But maybe others with more experience can chime in on this aspect.

One more thing, I wonder why they call this an American barleywine? German yeast Germans hops and German malt.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Oak chips give up their essence within a week or so, cubes six weeks. Any longer isn’t doing anything.

Also, I don’t know that you’d want to boil down a portion and return, typically barleywines don’t tend to finish real dry anyway and you’ve got some crystal in the recipe. I wouldn’t want it to become cloyingly sweet as a result. But maybe others with more experience can chime in on this aspect.

One more thing, I wonder why they call this an American barleywine? German yeast Germans hops and German malt.[/quote]

I chose that. Technically there is not a “German” Barleywine style. This is more my designation. I dont think that I am pioneering anything.

In the case of boiling down I was looking to create some melanoidins and color. Reconstitute and place back into the kettle.

[quote=“Zip100473”][quote=“tom sawyer”]
One more thing, I wonder why they call this an American barleywine? German yeast Germans hops and German malt.[/quote]
I chose that. Technically there is not a “German” Barleywine style. This is more my designation. I dont think that I am pioneering anything.
[/quote]

Maybe you’ll be the father of a new style of beer. :cheers:

I’ve had an idea in the back of my head about brewing a German APA, using all German ingredients.
The saphir is a nice touch, I used some in an amber ale last year and it went very well with the summit and simcoe I also used.

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Zip100473”][quote=“tom sawyer”]
[/quote]

I’ve had an idea in the back of my head about brewing a German APA, using all German ingredients.
The saphir is a nice touch, I used some in an amber ale last year and it went very well with the summit and simcoe I also used.[/quote]

I used saphir in a maibock. Really great. I’m looking forward to perhaps a new beer style brew day!

[quote=“Rookie L A”][quote=“Zip100473”][quote=“tom sawyer”]
[/quote]

The saphir is a nice touch, I used some in an amber ale last year and it went very well with the summit and simcoe I also used.[/quote]

I brewed what I call a Dusseldorf IPA - a big Alt with a massive dose of Herkules, Polaris and Smaragd. It came out real nice, but damn that Polaris is a potent hop. Everything else was drowned out.

I found a style called doppelsticke a big alt.

Yes, Uerige’s doppelsticke is a thing of beauty. It’s beyond a big alt, it’s much closer to alt-meets barleywine. The Stickebier style is probably a bit easier to find, and is kind of closer to a normal Alt that’s been amped-up a bit. Long Trail’s Double Bag is an excellent example of that.

Yes, Uerige’s doppelsticke is a thing of beauty. It’s beyond a big alt, it’s much closer to alt-meets barleywine. The Stickebier style is probably a bit easier to find, and is kind of closer to a normal Alt that’s been amped-up a bit. Long Trail’s Double Bag is an excellent example of that.[/quote]
That’s what I’m looking to do. A giant alt barleywine. Long age time. 8-12 months. Even oak half with French med oak. Something just out of the ordinary. Big. Malty. Hop punch of mild german hops. Well attenuated.