Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Using T-58 for 1st time

I have 2 packets. I am going to brew a bpa with starting gravity of 1.052. I drank beer brewed with this yeast. I liked the tangerine peppery esters. The brewer said they just dumped 40 packets of dry yeast in 7 bbls.

Upon reading the forum, a lot of people are saying it lacks Belgian flavor and is more suitable for Weissbier. I don’t know maybe I’m confusing it with a different dry strain but I’m pretty sure he said t58.

I’m brewing with it tommorow anyhow so I guess I will find out. Will pitching one packet be a good idea to help bring out the esters. My usual routine is to pitch 2 packs in a 1.050ish wort then repitch ample amounts into future brews. I don’t normaly have time for starters. I have never used a yeast calculator but am considering it. I ball park pitch. 300 hundred plus batches brewed by simple repitching has served me well. But Belgians i rarely do. The few I have done come out different. I will ferment this yeast warmer.

I don’t think it would be suitable for weiss. I find T-58 to be more phenolic than estery and kinda like it for several Belgian styles.

Do u think it will be good for B.P.A? What are your your thoughts and recommendations for brewing with this yeast?

Do u think it will be good for B.P.A? What are your your thoughts and recommendations for brewing with this yeast?[/quote]

I think it makes a pretty good witbier. Probably not bad for BPA, either, although I’ve never used it for one.

I used T-58 for a Belgian Blonde I brewed up a few weeks ago. Just transferred to keg last night, I’ll be able to give you a better idea of how it turned out after this weekend, depending on how aggressive I want to be with carbonating. I know it chewed through the wort like nobody’s business, going from 1.055 to 1.009 in less than a week. I’ll try to remember to post some tasting notes on it.

the recipe… (not mine, got off of HBT)
5.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
4.00 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
0.25 lb Caravienne Malt (22.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50%] (60 min)

I did mash a lot lower than I had wanted (148-ish), so that could account for the big attenuation.

I am doing a side by side comparison of T-58 and US-05 in an imperial sort of honey pilser. I pitched yeast on September 8th. This is my recipe. I’ll report back how it turns out. So far, the t-58 fermented like crazy for about 2 days (it looked like it was boiling) and has significantly dropped off to a bubble or two each minute. It actually pushed out my airlock. The US-05 is behaving a bit more conventionally, getting going pretty strong in the 2nd-4th day and then dropping off a bit.

Fermenatables
10 Lbs 2-Row
1 lb German Vienna
1 lb Munich 10L
4 lbs Honey at 10 minutes

Yeast:
t-58 into 3 gallon glass Carboy hydrated 1 hour in 1/2 cup water
us-05 into 2.5 plastiC Carboy hydrated 1 hour in 1/2 cup water

Pre boil OG 1.034
Target OG 1.070
Actual OG 1.080

MASH - Strike 4.5 gallons at 165 to achieve 150 degree mash in silver cooler. 90 minute mash, stir every 15 minutes. Sparg with 3 gallons water at 170.

YEAST - Hydrated yeast in 1/2 cup water at beginning of boil. Poured each yeast into respective carboy and siphoned wort into carboy 1/2 full. Aerated by shaking bottle and then filled to top.

BOIL - 90 Minute
1 oz US Magnum pellets at 60
1 oz Cascade pellets at 50
2 oz german Hallertou pellets at 10
Added 3/4 gallon water to adjust OG and top off carboys

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com