Using Pumps to Transfer Homebrew

I’m in the process of finishing my basement (yes… with a bar) and as a result, my usual space to transfer beer from my buckets is covered in drywall dust and sawdust.

I’ve got some places I can run my normal gravity siphon action, though my wife is less than enthused by this.

I thought pumping would be the answer, though spending close to $200 on a new one from a brew site is an investment I don’t want to make. I know I could find some a lot cheaper elsewhere - and know I need self priming since it’s just a cold transfer…

The question is… would any self priming pump work for this? Are they tricky to clean/sanitize?
Is anyone running a similar set up? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Why not do the transfer in the kitchen?

Hardwood floors.
Bit of a fear with regards to spillage…

I suppose I could lay some tarp down… just trying to be a good husband and not drive the wife nuts! :slight_smile:

I just use towels. If you’re really worried about it, put down a trash bag, then a towel, then do everything over that area. Buying a pump to address what sounds like a temporary situation sounds like overkill to me.

Also, I can’t imagine the occasional brew transfer over hardwood floors poses anything close to the same risk as cooking over them day in and day out.

[quote=“ickyfoot”]I just use towels. If you’re really worried about it, put down a trash bag, then a towel, then do everything over that area. Buying a pump to address what sounds like a temporary situation sounds like overkill to me.

Also, I can’t imagine the occasional brew transfer over hardwood floors poses anything close to the same risk as cooking over them day in and day out.[/quote]

…true

The biggest risk is 5 gallons of liquid gold spilling. Rare as it may be to happen, it would be heartbreaking. Not just because I would most likely have a floor warping problem due to the excess moisture, but also because I just lost 5 gallons of beer!

What about a plastic kiddie pool?
Then once your brew space is finished donate the pool (cleaned of course) to good will or something.

Regarding the pump idea; Are there any self-priming pumps for less than $200? :?:

Unless you know that the flooring you have is going to swell, delam or warp from a little bit of spillage I wouldn’t worry about for the couple times you need to siphon. If it was your place forever then ya it could be an issue depending on the type of flooring.

Go for it!!

I wonder how many marriages have been rocked by advice given by forum members?

Give your wife $50 to go get her hair done. Transfer in the kitchen while she’s gone.

I just saved you $150. :slight_smile:

:cheers: