Using my Christmas tree this year to make beer

I am thinking of saving the needles from my Christmas tree this year, and trying to turn it into a beer. I am assuming that people have done this before and I was curious A) Does anybody think this is a worth while endeavor, B) IF you have ever done this before did it turn out well, C) any other ideas, suggestions, or helpful hints?

get a bottle of cheap gin. :lol:

I’ve read a few posts here about people using spruce tips without a whole lot of success. Worth the try but I’d say make a small batch just in case.

i’ve used spruce tips before with success, but they have to be spring fresh when they are still tender. i would hesitate to use pine needles from a christmas tree.

This.

A couple local brewers make spruce tip beers in the spring.

I’m not sure how the flavors last for a Christmas beer. Or if you can freeze the tips for a fall brew date.

This.

A couple local brewers make spruce tip beers in the spring.

I’m not sure how the flavors last for a Christmas beer. Or if you can freeze the tips for a fall brew date.[/quote]
That’s exactly what I did this past weekend. I picked the spruce tips in the spring and froze them. Brewed a medium bodied, amber-red ale lightly hopped and added 8 oz of spruce tips at 15 min (10 gal batch)

There are allot of amazing spruce tip brews out there this one is one of my favorites http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/9629/37483 Its a pine kick to the jugular. So I dont see brewing with them being a problem.

I tried Alaskan Brewing’s new spruce beer last weekend, and it was great! I too have heard that you want the fresh growth, so I’d skip the Christmas tree and wait a couple months.

Yeah I would say you want them fresh here is a video from shorts on their beer http://vimeo.com/44238729#

I understand your desire to brew with everything imaginable. I myself will attempt to make a fermentable beverage well with just about anything.

But this is a terrible idea for a number of reasons.

One of which is that your Christmas tree has probably been sprayed with various pest and weed sprays, as well as fed with non-food intended fertilizers.

NB sells a spruce extract flavoring, or spruce tips can be purchased, or harvested in the spring.
That will accomplish the same thing.

Also, many evergreen types of essential oils are available. Just make sure they are pure.

you’ve sparked my interest in making another one so i pulled the tips out of the freezer and have a beer fermenting as we speak. will let you know how it turns out.

did you ever get a chance to try the spruce beer that Crow Peak made?

no, i guess i wasn’t aware they had one.