Using Expired Gelatin

I VERY rarely use gelatin and if I do its on my light colored beers like Cream Ales, Pales, etc (and not every batch). I just noticed the gelatin packets I have expire this May. So that means that I likely only get maybe 1 more beer in before they expire. Any opinions on using expired gelatin if I don’t use it again until the Summer/Fall or beyond? Does anyone know what happens to gelatin as it ages and why it has an expiration date?

Thanks.

It’s a food product. They all have “best by” , “fresh by” or such dates on them. Most are just fine if consumed after those dates. Even milk if stored cold will still be good after the date on the jug.

I don’t have 1st hand knowledge of gelatin, but I suspect it will be fine to use after the date on the package.

Gelatin, being a protein , could I suppose degrade over time. But instead of the perley white, it would probably look brown. I don’t know how long it might take. Higher temps and humidity would probably speed up the process. If it looks good, use it.

It’ll be fine…just use it. Expiration dates don’t represent any kind of drop-dead “don’t use it” warning. In some cases they are even virtually meaningless.

I made some raspberry gelatin after 1st posting on this. Best by date was '08. Set up normally and tasted fine a couple minutes ago.

If you don’t hear from me tomorrow… :shock:

That’s pretty much what I was getting at. I know the date it’s like a switch for the stuff to go bad but just wanted to know if anyone had experience using it months after. Like someone else said, if it looks and smells good, use it.

Thanks

If it is unopened and stored properly it should be good for many years after the expiration date. I don’t see any issues with using it.

Yup all in individual packets in a drawer in a cool basement. :smiley:

[quote=“Nighthawk”]I made some raspberry gelatin after 1st posting on this. Best by date was '08. Set up normally and tasted fine a couple minutes ago.

If you don’t hear from me tomorrow… :shock: [/quote]

He said “raspberry gelatin”…I know that unflavored is used for “fining”, but what would be the outcome of using a flavored gelatin, if it was possible to have a “wierd ingredient” free gelatin, ( preservative free, sulfites,sulfates, sorbates and what not)?
I’m guessing that the added sugars would start some fermentation again, or would the “fining” action of the gelatin lock up the sugars and prevent this?

I ask because of reading the questions and replies on when to “fruit the beer”.

Stealth: I don’t know for sure, but I imagine it would take a bunch to get any flavor. Probably alot more than you’d need for fining purposes.And yeah, the sugar would kick in fermentation for a little while.