Using carapils in Munich Helles?

Planning to make a Helles soon. I’ve been searching recipes and looking at “Designing Great Beers.” I didn’t expect this but found about half the recipes call for carapils. Some as much as 6%. Interesting that one recipe called for 2 oz.

Planning about 92% pils and 8% munich. Trying to decide on the carapils.

Obviously carapils increases the body and head retention in this light beer. I’m debating about 4-6 oz.

Thoughts?

thanks

Helles is such an un-eventful flawless lager. so adding something like carapils seems like yer wanting more than, well, as much of, not much. Sticking to a minimal recipe and augmenting the mash seems more to a simplistic grain bill. Soft as water as possible and a higher mash for a longer period? Sneezles61

I agree, but was surprised by how many recipes called for carapils which suggests it is a common ingredient. I hope others can weigh in.

I love this style of beer and to brew good helles and opinions my vary on how to brew a great helles true to the style. But one thing most brewers will agree on is German pilsner malt is key to the helles style. Carapils is in most recipes for mouth feel and head retention. Munich malt can add a maltiness to it. But a true helles is nothing but pilsner malt and some carapils. Now on the water I have used hard medium and soft. I find that medium to soft seems to work the best. Now on the part some might disagree but has won me best light lager gold with my helles. Is the mash. For my malt I choose a German pilsner malt with a protein around 11% and I do a protein rest some say it’s not needed with modified malts. But I find it adds to the helles a softness that missing with single infusion mash temperature. I hold my protein rest at 122 for 30 minutes and then raise to 152 for 60 minutes total of 90 minutes and then mash out around 170.

More good input, especially the mash schedule. I’ve brewed several Czech pils and one German pils and use only Best Malz Pils. I will probably drop the munich and go with about 5-8% carapils. I just found another Helles recipe that called for 15% carapils. Seems over the top to me but the source is highly credible: Greg Noonan in his book “NEW Brewing Lager Beer.”

Another option is Carahell from Weyerman-it’s got a pretty delicate flavor and is around 10-11 L. using a small amount (under 10%) can boost the mouthfeel and head retention the way you want without making it too dark or sweet. I suspect using small amounts of these specialty malts compensates for not doing a decoction mash. Carahell is newer and does not show up in older books like Designing great beers or new brewing lager beer, but worth a try.

Carahell malt tends to lend a mild Carmel flavor to your beer it’s lovibond is closer to light munich malt with out the malty flavor. But Carafoam instead of carapils would work nice it’s 1.5 lovibond too.