Using a ranco dual temp controller?

Hello i have ranco dual temp controller that can do both cooling mode an heat mode. Hear where i am confuse i know during summer i use just the cooling mode an i guss during fall an winter mouth’s use both cooling mode an heat mode at the sametime to maintain fermention temp

Unless you are fermenting outside in the winter time, I don’t see where you would need to use the heating mode. Except for a Belgiun beer.

For a Belgiun beer, some suggest fermenting in the 60’s for 3-4 days. Then start increasing the temp until you hit 80*. Sense fermentation is winding down you should not see much of a difference between the controller temp and the beer temp. So you should not need to worry about “cooling” it down.

Otherwise, when fermenting in the house in a fridge/freezer, the room is already 65-75*. So the fridge is used to maintain a 60-65* mini room for the beer.

Before having a freezer to ferment in, I had a lager going in the garage. I build a box out of pink foam board. Used a controller to operate a shielded light bulb. Taped the prob to the side of the carboy and set the controller to 50*. When the temp dropped, the light came on.

I don’t recommend the light bulb approach. The bulb will burn out and you risk freeing the beer. My box is big enough to hold 2 carboys. I can ferment in one and have room to put a small space heater. There might be room for 2 carboys and the heater. Probably more efficient heating over a light bulb also.

What would you use to heat the beer?

[quote=“Nighthawk”]

I don’t recommend the light bulb approach. The bulb will burn out and you risk freeing the beer. My box is big enough to hold 2 carboys. I can ferment in one and have room to put a small space heater. There might be room for 2 carboys and the heater. Probably more efficient heating over a light bulb also.[/quote]

Or a brewers belt. Maybe a heating pad. But I don’t know how well they hold up with continuous type use.

I like the space heater. Dual purpose items are a win in my book.