US-05 vs Nottingham

My LHBS doesn’t sell US-05. I’ve asked him why (he sells Saflager S-23), and he says Nottingham is good enough. I’ve used both, and have had really good results with both. Anyone here have a preference between the two?

it’s been years since I’ve used Nottingham, but I always though US-05 was cleaner profile. and tell your LHBS that the “good enough” attitude doesn’t belong in home brewing. or give him less than your total and tell him, “Close enough.”.

Agreed. Notty has a tartness to it that I always found disagreeable. OTOH, if he’s selling S23 he probably has no sense of taste anyway! :slight_smile:

I with you on that… No such thing as good enough in home brewing

Agreed. Notty has a tartness to it that I always found disagreeable. OTOH, if he’s selling S23 he probably has no sense of taste anyway! :slight_smile: [/quote]

Denny, what do you find wrong with S23? I want to use the best.

I used Nottingham for the first time recently with NBs Honey Nut Brown Ale…2 weeks after bottling it had a “hot alcohol” taste…pretty bad…I tried one yesterday (2 weeks later) and its improving…but I’ve never has a similar experience with US-05.

Just my experiences…

I’ve heard a lot of negative concerning all of Danstar’s products, which, of course my LHBS has in abundance. I guess it’s time to start ordering us-05 and 04’s in small bulk.

too bad you weren’t in Gillette. Pour Brothers had quite a bit variety for a small shop. and willing to get you what you want when you want it. I miss those guys.

Agreed. Notty has a tartness to it that I always found disagreeable. OTOH, if he’s selling S23 he probably has no sense of taste anyway! :slight_smile: [/quote]

Denny, what do you find wrong with S23? I want to use the best.[/quote]

When I used S-23 I found that the beers I made were undrinkably fruity. So bad that I sent one to John Palmer to see what he thought. He replied that it tasted like passion fruit wine cooler! Even after a year of lagering they were still disgusting.

[quote=“Denny”]

When I used S-23 I found that the beers I made were undrinkably fruity. So bad that I sent one to John Palmer to see what he thought. He replied that it tasted like passion fruit wine cooler! Even after a year of lagering they were still disgusting.[/quote]am I glad I never pick that up! hahaha! thought about it once and decided on a liquid strain.

Not sure I see the big problem with Nottingham. I tend to use it for anything inherently British. Yes 05 finishes cleaner and dryer. But for some british styles you want the yeast to hang around a bit. I personally never liked the 04, and have not used it in years.

Regardless, don’t see why your brew store dose not cary 05. I do think it is the best dry ale yeast you can get. If you really want the 05, Nottingham is not a suitable substitute.

too bad you weren’t in Gillette. Pour Brothers had quite a bit variety for a small shop. and willing to get you what you want when you want it. I miss those guys.[/quote]

That would be awesome. I’ll just probably have to make a few more trips down to Ft. Collins.

Thanks all for your replies. I will no longer buy Nottingham, or S23. I’ll order a batch of 05 for now, until I can make a trip down south.

Is he the only HBS in town?
I’m betting he is.

Yup, he is.

you hear back from Nate & AJ yet?

I prefer US-05 and it can handle cooler temperatures, too. As to S-23, it works well at very cold lager temps (I go around 46F), but I have tried 34/70 to see how that works out - that batch of beer is near tapping, so I will know soon.

Not yet. I was thinking of calling them this weekend.