Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Upgrading to partial mash

Eventually I want to upgrade from extract to partial mash. What other equipment do I need to upgrade from extract to partial mash. I want to continue doing extract brewing until I am comfortable with the process. My first step will be from partial boils to full boils on an outside burner. Which I will need to upgrade my 4 gallon pot to at least a 10 gallon pot correct? When I upgrade to full boils I don’t want to have to upgrade something again when I switch to partial mash. If that makes any sense.

The only thing extra I got when I started partial mash was a 2 pack of five gallon paint strainer bags from Lowe’s. They fit nicely in my 5 gallon brew kettle. When you switch to full boils, the 10 gallon pot is a good idea so there’s little to no danger of boil over. You could probably get away with a 7.5 or 8 gallon kettle, but might as well get the 10 and not worry.

I just recently got an immersion chiller. It is as good as everyone says for chilling the wort. When you go to full boils, an immersion or counterflow chiller would be a good investment, if not a must.

Just did my first partial mash a couple of weeks ago. The only extra thing I bought was a grain bag that’s big enough to fit in my mash/boil kettle and hold several pounds of grain. I already had two kettles on hand, a larger one (4 gallons) to mash/boil in and a smaller one (3 gallons) to heat the sparge water. I also already had a big strainer that I could set on top of the mash/boil kettle, place the grain bag in and drain the sparge water through. Really, depending on what you already happen to have on hand, it’s not too big of a step up to start in on partial mash.

I agree that an immersion chiller is probably the next step beyond that…well, that and a propane burner, but those two kinda go hand in hand in my opinion (if you’re doing full boils on the burner, you’re gonna need a chiller to cool the wort). I’m still doing partial boils on the stovetop and cooling with an ice bath in the sink, so not quite there yet.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com