Unhappy yeast in cider?

Hey all, first post here.
I’ve done a couple beers, all of which were successful and enjoyable.
This is my first cider, and I have a feeling I mucked it up, but wanted to ask advice since I am by no means pretending to be a pro!

I think my first mistake was using Safcider Tf-6 yeast, looking back. I was told it would help fruit character but would definitely eat up all the sugars and come out dry, despite its description of sweetness.

I used 5 gallons of Indian Summer – and added around 2 pounds of brown sugar.

The fermentation took about 3 days to get rolling. Then it took off (wasn’t crazy but was definitely working), lasted about 10 days, but then came to a full stop. There’s been zero action for about 5 days now, nothing going on in the carboy or the airlock. Totally still.

I’m using the big mouth siphonless for the first time as well, so I drew out a dram. The stuff gave me an almost instant headache (presuming from the sugars), and reads 1.020 on the hydrometer. (I didn’t take an OG reading unfortunately.)

So, where can I go from here to get those excess sugars eaten up and dry this out?
I didn’t want a sweet cider to begin with, to be honest. I have a feeling this yeast has had its run and doesn’t want to eat anymore.

I’d wait… yeast may be slow to finish up… AND you could add some other yeast… I’d think yer OG would’ve been about 1.068… I use that cider and typically get 1.048 from it… Each pound of brown sugar should add about 1.010 per 5 gallons…
I prefer my ciders dry… just like a Brute Champagne… IF you like em that dry, then yer final gravity will need to finish at 1.000 or under… I aim for .997…
Good luck and keep us posted…
Sneezles61

1 Like

So your 2 weeks in? You like it dry? Throw in some champagne yeast and rack it

2 Likes

By the way did you use any nutrient? Might add that as well

1 Like

Awesome, exactly the answers I’ve been trying to divine, thanks much.

I wondered if just dumping new yeast in there was okay, as I read somewhere that pitching new yeast after fermentation had already started could make nasty flavors – but I might have misunderstood.

I’ll get some champagne yeast and a nutrient, I really think it needs a kick. Let’s see what happens.

2 Likes